Al Drake

Setting up remote viewing. What am I missing

I have been reading this forum for some time now and appreciate all the help everyone with knowledge is giving everyone like myself. Maybe I am a bit slow but I just can't figure out what I am missing here. I have a Q-See QT518-1 DVR and have all the cameras connected and can view everything fine over the network but that is far as I can get. I have gone to Q-See.com and have my domain name. I have done port forwarding on my Linksys router using 80 and 6036. I am at the DVR menu now at "other Settings" and everything looks fine except the DDNS Type will not show MyQ-See.com. It shows ns1.dvrlists.com and other stuff in the drop down menu. I can't seem to understand what I must do to get this right. I have DDNS checked. I enabled DMZ and set my DVR IP. I went to Canyouseeme.org and ports 80 and 6036 are open. This is as far as I can get so the question remains is what have I missed?

Thanks for anyone that can offer me some help.

Al

I use www.ping.eu when checking ports from the outside, it's similar to canuseeme but more comprhensive in my opinion. As far as the DDNS goes, try it once with a dynamic IP, then power cycle, and see if it registers and gets out of the building. If so, then you have an issue in your IP structure. Don't leave it dynamic if you can help it though. Also, can Q-see tech. support hit the recorder?

I use http://www.ping.eu when checking ports from the outside, it's similar to canuseeme but more comprhensive in my opinion. As far as the DDNS goes, try it once with a dynamic IP, then power cycle, and see if it registers and gets out of the building. If so, then you have an issue in your IP structure. Don't leave it dynamic if you can help it though. Also, can Q-see tech. support hit the recorder?

I haven't contacted Q-See yet but my guess is that if their service is not showing then there will be no connectivity. I will give them a try.

I was unable to set to Dynamic IP unless I am doing that wrong too. I can't get out of the "Other settings" menu if the settings are not correct so I have to cancel. I have tried power cycle several times but no help.

I know sometimes you can have the ports "open" in the modem itself, and not in the "router". So I would be shure to go into the pgmg of both devices and double check port forwarding and and filtering. In the recorder sometimes you have to toggle DDNS off to go back and set Dynamic and vice-versa. Did you let the DDNS/ DVRNS pick your site name or did you create it?

I know sometimes you can have the ports "open" in the modem itself, and not in the "router". So I would be shure to go into the pgmg of both devices and double check port forwarding and and filtering. In the recorder sometimes you have to toggle DDNS off to go back and set Dynamic and vice-versa. Did you let the DDNS/ DVRNS pick your site name or did you create it?

I checked to see that the ports were open in the router but it is unclear what I must do and check the modem. I saw no mention what-so-ever of this being an issue. What is the process to set Dynamic? If you mean that I uncheck this box then I have done this many times back and forth. I rebooted each time I made a change just to be sure the settings took effect. The only thing I see that is different from what I see in the manual is there is no indication of Q-See.com showing as the DDNS server. I selected the site mane myself as I didn't see any way to have it chosen for me. I was tempted to pay for DYNDNS and would do so if I thought it would work. I need to know more about filtering as this might be the problem. What do I need to check that is not clear in the manual? Could it be a firewall issue configured in my router like the 4 I see enabled?

Block Anonymous internet Requests

Filter Multicast

Filter Internet NAT Redirection

Filter IDENT(port 113)

One more thing. I see in the router that DDNS is set to disable and the only choice I have to change this is to make a selection in the drop down menu which are only DynDNS.org and TZO.com. It seems to me that this must be the problem and would be resolved if there was a selection for Q-See.com in that window.

Also:

Enterprise Client v3.0 shows the service is running.

Weird that qsee isn't in the list of choices in the dvr. That alone would make me call or chat online with support. And while you're at it, ask if there's a firmware update for your dvr. Confirm with them that this dvr should or should not have qsee.com as a choice in the list. But if all else fails, you can start by choosing dyndns in both the dvr and the router. Dyndns, when I checked last, can be free if you do a trial version of a pro account and then cancel before the free time period runs out. They let you keep your one name you setup and it remains free. From what I can remember doing this, set the dvr to DHCP so it assigns an IP address to it. Then set the dvr to static so it holds that address. Then enable DDNS in the dvr. If you must because qsee isn't in there, choose dyndns. Put all the account info for your dyndns account in the dvr. In your router, make sure the ports are forwarded correctly and that it is indeed using your dyndns account and info. Then in IE, use your dyndns address to hit the dvr. If it's not, try two things- in the dvr set a different port than 80, such as 89. Some IP's won't let you use 80 and will block it. And/or, check your modem and see if it's a combo modem router. If it's a combo, you'll need to bridge that- a process I can't help you with. All of this is very particular to your equipment, so it's hard to just suggest something. If you know anyone who is a gamer or xbox wiz, they can probably help you with port forwarding. Anyone in your life that is good with home networking- have them set it up for you.

Weird that qsee isn't in the list of choices in the dvr. That alone would make me call or chat online with support. And while you're at it, ask if there's a firmware update for your dvr. Confirm with them that this dvr should or should not have qsee.com as a choice in the list. But if all else fails, you can start by choosing dyndns in both the dvr and the router. Dyndns, when I checked last, can be free if you do a trial version of a pro account and then cancel before the free time period runs out. They let you keep your one name you setup and it remains free. From what I can remember doing this, set the dvr to DHCP so it assigns an IP address to it. Then set the dvr to static so it holds that address. Then enable DDNS in the dvr. If you must because qsee isn't in there, choose dyndns. Put all the account info for your dyndns account in the dvr. In your router, make sure the ports are forwarded correctly and that it is indeed using your dyndns account and info. Then in IE, use your dyndns address to hit the dvr. If it's not, try two things- in the dvr set a different port than 80, such as 89. Some IP's won't let you use 80 and will block it. And/or, check your modem and see if it's a combo modem router. If it's a combo, you'll need to bridge that- a process I can't help you with. All of this is very particular to your equipment, so it's hard to just suggest something. If you know anyone who is a gamer or xbox wiz, they can probably help you with port forwarding. Anyone in your life that is good with home networking- have them set it up for you.

I downloaded cports and it indicates DDNS.exe is running. 2 instances. One remote port 49158 with a lot of other stuff I don't understand. It shows http://www.dyndnsservices.com Enterprise DDNS client. One instance listening and one established. This is after I rebooted but at one point I noticed 4 instances but I think that might have been due to be running it again from the desktop.

I am using a Linksys router and a Zoom modem so I know there is no combo device. Maybe the problem is IE so I could try Firefox as I have it installed but not my default. I emailed q-see and will wait for a reply. I type to slow for any other communication.

Maybe I'll do like you suggest and use Dyndns and the trial version. Thanks for that. According to canyouseeme.org port 80 is not blocked but I could try another to be safe.

Thanks for the suggestions. Even if I have to wait for as long as it takes I don't mind. I am so busy at work I only have Sundays to sit back and try stuff.

Thanks again.

Al

Hi Al,

Are you able to remote view without using DDNS? Like if you punch in your external IP in Internet explorer on a remote computer, do you see your DVR? You can find the external IP when you log into canyouseeme.org.

I think Q-See sold you a wrong DVR if even their own q-see ddns server doesn't show up under the drop down menu, I would contact them and get another one. Does the drop down menu include a option called 'mintddns'? if it does, then you can select that, and just put in myq-see.com as the ddns server.

You don't have to set up DDNS in your router, just the DVR and the web site where qsee tells you to register an account, and use that registeration info in your DVR. For example:

email address used to make account on Q-SEE's ddns webpage = user name you put in the DDNS setting of DVR

password used to make account on Q-see = password you put in the ddns setting of DVR

host domain you requested = host domain you put in ddns setting of dvr.

Click the test button after everything is filled out, should pop up 'testing success' if everything is ok. then click apply.

First of all you should make sure you have done port forwarding correctly, include testing out the external IP in the q-see app using your cell phone's network (and not internal wifi).

DMZ is not needed.

If you have multiple routers, you have to either bridge mode one or port forward on both.

Let me know if you need help, I'm familiar with the DVRs that Qsee sources but from branded by another company.

Hi Al,

Are you able to remote view without using DDNS? Like if you punch in your external IP in Internet explorer on a remote computer, do you see your DVR? You can find the external IP when you log into canyouseeme.org.

I think Q-See sold you a wrong DVR if even their own q-see ddns server doesn't show up under the drop down menu, I would contact them and get another one. Does the drop down menu include a option called 'mintddns'? if it does, then you can select that, and just put in myq-see.com as the ddns server.

You don't have to set up DDNS in your router, just the DVR and the web site where qsee tells you to register an account, and use that registeration info in your DVR. For example:

email address used to make account on Q-SEE's ddns webpage = user name you put in the DDNS setting of DVR

password used to make account on Q-see = password you put in the ddns setting of DVR

host domain you requested = host domain you put in ddns setting of dvr.

Click the test button after everything is filled out, should pop up 'testing success' if everything is ok. then click apply.

First of all you should make sure you have done port forwarding correctly, include testing out the external IP in the q-see app using your cell phone's network (and not internal wifi).

DMZ is not needed.

If you have multiple routers, you have to either bridge mode one or port forward on both.

Let me know if you need help, I'm familiar with the DVRs that Qsee sources but from branded by another company.

I won't have access to a remote computer until I get to work tomorrow. I will give it a try. All my systems are on my network and that access is fine. I do see my external IP addy from canyouseeme.org and others. I just got a return email from Q-See support who asked me where I got the DVR and the Firmware. I got it from Amazon but I didn't check to see where it really came from. The FW seems rather old so I will wait to see what support comes up with. Ver. 3.2.0.P-12.0.6.F-00 looks like it might be from early 2000 if I decipher it right.

I do see mintdns. I selected it but got a response of "register account fail!" so I will jhave to lok into what I might have to do to correct this. I used the Q-See settings like you suggested but the test shows failure as mentioned above.

I don't have a cell phone(I'm really a very old timer).

I don't have multiply routers other than my Vonage device but I never access that and I don't think it is active on my local network.

I will now go to Amazon and see if I can find out where it really came from. I have had it for some time so I might have a problem if I try to get any satisfaction from them.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep trying.

regards.

Al.

Hi Al,

There should be a launch date under information, near the firmware info. 3.2.0 is actually 2012.

I think its just some inaccuracies in your registration...maybe I ask if you are sure you registered your DDNS at the right page?

myq-see.com is the DDNS webpage

q-see.com is their products page.

You have to make register an account on myq-see.com, similar to registration for this forum.

here is an example of what it should look like in "other settings"

DDNS : enable (or check the box)

ddns type : mintdns

ddns server: myq-see.com

username: xxxx@gmail.com (email you used to register an account at myq-see.com)

password: xxxxx (password you used to make the acct on myq-see.com)

Host Domain: xxxxxxx.myq-see.com (host domain that you requested on myq-see.com)

ddns update: can be left to default

Good luck!

Hi Al,

There should be a launch date under information, near the firmware info. 3.2.0 is actually 2012.

I think its just some inaccuracies in your registration...maybe I ask if you are sure you registered your DDNS at the right page?

myq-see.com is the DDNS webpage

q-see.com is their products page.

You have to make register an account on myq-see.com, similar to registration for this forum.

here is an example of what it should look like in "other settings"

DDNS : enable (or check the box)

ddns type : mintdns

ddns server: myq-see.com

username: xxxx@gmail.com (email you used to register an account at myq-see.com)

password: xxxxx (password you used to make the acct on myq-see.com)

Host Domain: xxxxxxx.myq-see.com (host domain that you requested on myq-see.com)

ddns update: can be left to default

Good luck!

The launch date is indeed 2012-06-26 18:19:41. I am sure I have registered correctly.

Qsee.PNG.79bc75754631c02f6ff4028b5106cabd.PNG

It was pointed out to me that this DVR is an LTS so I am in the process of making some changes. So far everything is going well if I can figure out how to get through from my work network. I think they are blocking this activity somehow. I'm going have to educate them I think.

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. I have to bow-out on this one. I don't work with QSee so I can't offer anything here. The only odd ball thing to make sure of, is when you are checking internal port open/ closed settings, make sure you physically have a device attatched to the switch/ router ext. port. Alot of equipment out there will allow you to "open" ports - but they won't show open from the outside until something is physically plugged into it. Good luck.

Set DVR network settings to DHCP, then reboot. Router will assign IP, then set to STATIC using the IP assigned by router.

go to canyouseeme.org to get your external IP address, and make a note of it for use when setting up remote view program/app.

You can also check your ports here to see if they are open.

On the DVR network settings, you can enable UPNP under the NAT tab (make sure this is also enabled in your router). Then select auto port mapping. It may take the system a minute or two, but it will automatically set the incoming, and outgoing ports. The port #'s should show up in the list when finished...Note:the incoming port # may be different than outgoing port #. You can then add the ports to port forwarding in your router settings, though you shouldn't have to.

When setting up the remote viewing program/app, make sure you select IP/Domain and use the external IP address, and the incoming port #. If using remote viewing program on laptop or desktop computer, make sure you add an exception in firewall settings to allow access through firewall. If setting up on cellphone/tablet, make sure you have settings to allow app to use cellular data (this allows app to work when not connected to wifi. May be expensive if you do not have unlimited data plan. Make sure you completely close out of the app when done viewing so it doesn't continue to run in background using up all your data and $$$).

This has worked for every LTS dvr/nvr I've set up.

For LTS dvr you will want to use the NVMS-7000 program or app.

DDNS service is great when it works, and a pain in the arse when it doesn't (q-see is usually on the pain in the arse side of the spectrum). Which is why I never use DDNS. Just put in the extra work, and set everything up yourself.