Robert Oaks

250gb hard disk problem

I have just built a new computer to use with a Geo600 card. I am using a 250gb (western digital) card for the first time, and the system will not "see" but about 125gb. The reacorder is working fine, except it is not showing that I have 250gb. Can someone offer a solution? Thank you.

I would guess that your motherboard can not see the size of the drive... that would be surprising if it was a NEw mainboard...boot to the BIOS and have a look what size it says the drive is... check that you have not just formatted some of the drive... but I would say two things are more likely...

1/ You need to upgrade your mother board BIOS.. this is a common thing with newer larger drives.

2/ Your Western Digital drive may not be compatable with the mainboard.. they will tell you this can not happen but it can... by the way... I would not use Western Digital drives and the larger drives are always more likely to fail and they generate more heat than any of the others... I would use a drive bay cooler and two x 120 Gb hdd...Seagate or Maxgate.

1.) Check the Bios, if the bios sees 250gb, then your good to go to step2.

if not, do like DVR_Expert_Australia said, upgrade the bios, then proceed to step2.

2.) if your HDD is a Maxtor, you will need to go to Maxtor.com and down load the big drive enabler (Very small file). Assuming your Video server is already up and running and has 2 partitions. run the program, tte program will automatically make the correct registry fixes.

3.) reboot your computer once complete running the program.

4.) After windows finish booting up, go to disk management, you will see your remaining space as unallocated. Delete the partition and recreate it with all the remaining space. this entire process should only take you 5 mins and will solve your problem.

below is the direct link to download the big drive enabler and info

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/big_drive_enabler.htm

Hay my techs just told me that some Motherboards cant boot to a drive bigger than 120 without a controller card....

Does this fix the problem.. does it load to the root directory... cool man.. owe you one if it does

All motherboards will boot to any size of a drive

its basically Windows is the one with the limitation. just keep in mind, every Hard drive manufacturer has its own program, the one i posted is for Maxtor

I've never seen or have it happened to me, but.. Normally i always make 2 partitions, the 1st partition is for my programs and O/S. (which is usually 10gb) the rest will be for data. I guess in my format, i never ran into the problem of not being able to boot with drives larger than 120gb, I always use this format for MY Video servers also. Windows may crash but the vidoe files are never lost.

I hope it fixes your problem, btw.. what motherboard are you using?

cool! you are using the good ones. Those will boot to any size of a drive,

the brands you mentioned are higly used for servers and are very stable

what operating system are you using, Windows has a setting that you mus modify with regedit so that Windows recognize and use hard disk bigger that 160 Gb.