baboo126

Setting Up DVR for remote viewing

Hi Guys,

Please help me understand how this works and correct me if I am wrong. First of all I am using a ISP i.e ISP A in Malaysia. I have a DVR set up with IP 192.168.1.99, Port used is 80 and I set up DMZ on it.

I am able to view the CCTV remotely using other ISP i.e ISP B in Malaysia when I key in my DDNS hostname in my browser and even in my iPhone. However when I use the same network to view the CCTV, there is no response. I tried ping the DDNS when connected to my own ISP A however it is not the same router, its a different device/router, not the one that is hooked up to the DVR.

Please let me know if you need more info in order to understand my problem better. Many thanks in advance.

Hiya,

Very strange problems as most people have the opposite issue. (CCTV not viewable from outside world!)

What address do you type in from inside your home? Do you type in a local address (192.168....) or do you type in your static IP address?

From inside your premises it is best to type the local address (LAN) and not the WAN IP address.

hi qrcctv,

first of all, thanks for replying, i see hope

Actually im not really that familiar with those terms. However let me try :

1. i have a router which is running on dynamic public ip

2. On the DVR, i have set the IP to be 192.168.1.99 and Port forwarding enabled, port :80. Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0, Gateway n DNS as 192.168.1.1.

for gateway n DNS, im not sure too whether im keying in correctly because in my router its IP Default Gateway and DNS server reading are different from this 192.168.1.1 that i keyed in.

IP Subnet mask in my router also says 255.255.255.255 instead of 255.255.255.0 that i key in.

Please Note that this is under LAN setting in the DVR, there is DHCP and ADSL as well, not sure if i am suppose to key it in there.

3. in the DVR i have also enabled ddns and keyed in the host name, username and password

4. In the router i have enabled DMZ and keyed in the 192.168.1.99 which i have set in the DVR earlier

5. i also go to port forwarding in my router and enabled UDP and TCP with port begin 80 and end 80. LAN IP is again keyed as 192.168.1.99

Now the situation is:

1. if I am outside using a different ISP i.e a Starbucks free wifi, i am able to view the CCTV with my browser by keying in the DDNS host name. i Am also able to do so with my iPhone using a free app where i key in my dens host name, port number and login credentials.

2. however in the same location using the same app in the phone and same browser on my laptop, if i am connected to the same network as the one broadcasting/hooked up to my DVR, i am unable to view it. I tried pinging the ends hostname but getting a request timeout.

Please Note that i sign up for 2 routers, 1 for home use where is connected to my DVR another 1 is a mobile hotspot router which i am carrying outside.This routers are from the same ISP but they are using a different account * if it matters lol.

Sorry for writing an essay, but this is the only way for me to explain it in detail. Do let me know if u require some screenshots to understand the issue better. Thanks for helping out.

Don't know if I am not understanding your issue or not, but,,,,,

When at your DVR location, use the 192.168.1.99 address to access the DVR's. Outside of your location then use the DDNS address that you setup. If I misunderstood, I'm sorry.

Don't know if I am not understanding your issue or not, but,,,,,

When at your DVR location, use the 192.168.1.99 address to access the DVR's. Outside of your location then use the DDNS address that you setup. If I misunderstood, I'm sorry.

That i understand, the thing is i am not at the DVR location.. I am outside somewhere but using the same ISP but with a different router.

However when I use the same network to view the CCTV, there is no response.

If you're in the same network, then you're not "outside"!

I keyed in "192.168.1.99" and also "192.168.1.99:80" in my browser IE and Chrome. However still to no avail.

Am I doing it right or is there anything wrong with my DVR and Router settings ? Can I try changing Ports ? Please advise what port to use.

I think that you said that you are using two routers. Is that right? If that's the case, how are they connected? If not, then I don't know yet.

1 router is at home attached to the DVR, another router is a small portable hotspot which can be carried around. Both are from the same ISP, the one connected to the DVR is running on public ip however the portable hotspot modem is on private ip. Does this matter ?

I repeat, on any other network I am able to view the cctv via browser by keying in my DDNS and on phone by downloading a free app and keying in the DDNS as well. Its just that somehow I am unable to view it from the "same network" .

Please help . I will be happy if someone can guide me to reconfigure the whole thing again as this is my first time doing it, so I am assuming that I did something wrong somewhere.

I think that you said that you are using two routers. Is that right? If that's the case, how are they connected? If not, then I don't know yet.

1 router is at home attached to the DVR, another router is a small portable hotspot which can be carried around. Both are from the same ISP, the one connected to the DVR is running on public ip however the portable hotspot modem is on private ip. Does this matter ?

I repeat, on any other network I am able to view the cctv via browser by keying in my DDNS and on phone by downloading a free app and keying in the DDNS as well. Its just that somehow I am unable to view it from the "same network" .

Please help . I will be happy if someone can guide me to reconfigure the whole thing again as this is my first time doing it, so I am assuming that I did something wrong somewhere.

Connect thru "Portable Hotspot" and check your ports. http://canyouseeme.org ISP might be blocking

Your DDNS http or https ?

Hotspot's are notorious for blocking ports. Just out of curiosity, are you using VoIP with hotspot?

on edit:

Here's another test, using a proxy server http://goldproxy.eu/ below type in your DDNS addy

using canyouseeme.org it says unable to see me..

Good news is, using the goldproxy thingy, i am able to access the dvr yay !

So what is the problems with my setting ? Please advise thanks

This is called round-robin. Very common for newer routers especially ones with SPI. You may see this on AT&T routers but not on Comast (Don't hold me to this as models vary and firmware changes)

If you DVR is 192.168.1.99 AND you are inside the network, using a DDNS hostname that points to the outside will not work on 90% of the routers. Some routers do allow outisde>then back in. In other words when you type mydvr.malaysiaddns.com it resolves to your WAN address that then port forwards or DMZ (Would not recommend DMZ). When your inside typing the address talks to the outside server that point right back in. There are advanced work arounds for this but not for network noobs.

Your hostname with DDNS refers to a routable IP address. If you are on a Windows network and have a DNS server internally you can create a hostname the in your network settings of your laptop select the internal DNS server first and external second.

How to fix this? Please send $10

I am not sure what you mean by your second router. But i would think the problem is the second portable router.

Are you sating that the portable router has the same ip as the main one? (are both connected to the same internet connection?)