Sign in to follow this  
kahall

Remote viewing works but not from 1 specific IP

Ok, hard to describe the issue since it is weird and weird usually means something dumb I'm missing.

My issue is at a local business which has 2 buildings that are 2 far apart to easily share an internet connection. I mean it could be done but it just hasn't.

Anyway..

Main buildings (bldg1) network has 4 or 5 windows pc’s, a modem, a router, some printers, LTS DVR, and 1 wireless access point. I have not done any work on this network as it was already done before I came into the picture. Remote viewing works either via the public IP or using the DDNS set up that someone else did.

The other building (bldg2) does not have much going on network wise. It goes modem->router->LTS DVR and at this time that’s it. I set the DVR and router up for remote viewing on this one and it has worked well for about 8 months and still does.

The issue: Remote viewing works on the DVR’s from anywhere except bldg1’s IP address. For instance: if you use a smart phone on 4G it logs right in to the DVR’s in building 1 or 2. If you use the same phone while connected to bldg1’s wireless network it won’t connect to either DVR. The Windows PC’s that are wired connections in building 1 will only connect to its local DVR using its local IP address. The DDNS that should work while trying to connect to bldg1’s DVR will not work from the local network and can only be viewed via local IP.

Long story short (too late)… I need to be able to view remotely the DVR in bldg2 from bldg1 but it just doesn’t work. This used to work and did so even last week they tell me. Back at my office I can view either just fine remotely. They did mention evidence of a power outage over the weekend as some clocks had to be reset but everything is on now.

The publc ip addresses for each location are.

Bldg1: XX.XX.XXX.126

Bldg2: XX.XX.XXX.142

With all of the X’s being the same in case that matters which I don’t think it does but since I’m scratching my head I thought I would mention it.

Usually typing out these problems it will dawn on me what the issue is but not this time. So any ideas?

Does the brand of router/firewall happen to be a Sonicwall ?

Also need clarification:

4G wireless obtains an outside IP gains access to either Bldg 1 or 2 using the Outside address? Correct

When using Bldg1 wireless are you trying to connect through outside address or inside address? But you can browse the internet on Bldg1 Wireless?

What is the subnet mask on both bldgs internal IP's?

A most important when on Bldg1. Did you plug in a hardline to the network? On hard line can you get access to either?

Is is isolated to wireless?

PM me if information you provide is sensitive for open forum.

So sorry varascope. You typed out a thoughtful reply and I apparently did not get notification that you did. I didn't come back here as the issue seemed to resolve itself but now it's back...intermittently. Today (~7 months later) I tried to connect to Bldg 2's DVR from a pc in Bldg 1 and most of the time it would not work but I did get it to show the log in a few times over a 2 hour period while I was messing with some other issues.

Does the brand of router/firewall happen to be a Sonicwall ?

I'm not sure but I will find out. I have seen it and logged into the router in Bldg 1 but I just can't remember what it is. It kind of think it might be or at least something similar as the set up is a bit more complicated from what I usually see in a small biz.

The router in Bldg2 is one supplied by AT&T and is a modem router combo. I will get the details for it as well. UPDATE: My notes say it's a Netgear 7550 Adsl2+.

Also need clarification:

4G wireless obtains an outside IP gains access to either Bldg 1 or 2 using the Outside address? Correct

Yes. Both work using outside IP or the assigned DDNS domain in the case of Bldg1.

When using Bldg1 wireless are you trying to connect through outside address or inside address? But you can browse the internet on Bldg1 Wireless?

Inside address and can browse internet. I really don't think this has anything to do with the inside wireless at all as the wired PC's have the same issues. I know I brought up wireless in my original post but wired acts the same way is what I'm saying.

What is the subnet mask on both bldgs internal IP's?

A most important when on Bldg1. Did you plug in a hardline to the network? On hard line can you get access to either?

Is is isolated to wireless?

1. No. 2. No, it doesn't work when on wired either.

Basically as I said in my original post:

The publc ip addresses for each location are.

Bldg1: XX.XX.XXX.126

Bldg2: XX.XX.XXX.142

With all of the X’s being the same. Neither Bldg can connect to the other Bldg's security DVR but both can be accessed from outside the networks, such as from where I am now or a 4g connection.

In Bldg1's DVR set up someone else set up DDNS. You can use http://COMPANYNAME.dvrlists.com/webcamera.html to connect to the DVR here as well. I don't know why this is set up this way as their IP appears to be static and is probably not important but I wanted to mention it.

Really all they need is to see the DVR in Bldg2 from a PC in Bldg1. The other way around is not important right now as usually no one is in there.