Zamboon

Viewing of CCTV unit from outside my wireless network

Good Afternoon,

Please could I get some guidance on viewing my CCTV feed from outside my wireless network. Apologies if this is a duplicate but I couldn't find anything in the search field that looked promising to me.

I have a Sunluxy H.264 DVR unit using the following ports;

Http port - 80

Client port - 8880

When I log into my DVR unit (with my laptop) via it's IP address, within my wireless network, I am able to see the feed from the cameras. However when I try and log into the DVR from outside the wireless network, say via a tethered wireless network using 3G, the page never loads - it loads the login page but when I enter my details it doesn't go further. Same applies if i try to log in using my cell phone via 3G, using the APP "Eseenet+", it says server unavailable but works if done through the wireless network.

So i tried to see if the port was open, so i went to canyouseeme.com and it came back to me saying that my IP address was 42.223.119.17 which it is not and that ports 80 and 8880 were not open. I have tried changing my ports on the DVR unit and Wireless router but I have not been able to connect. Secondly why would that website tell me my IP is one number when it's another?

Please could someone help me through this mess.

Regards

DK

canyouseeme.ord was NOT wrong, it reported what your public IP address was on that occasion.

Don't confuse LAN address and Public IP address.

It reported the ports were closed since it may have changed and that address was assigned to another router, no wonder it reported the ports closed, they probably are.....on the router that has that IP address now.

Anyway I am not here to offer networking coaching sessions, but get onto youtube and find out about Dynamic Name Servers.

Thats what you need to sort this out. Well done for doing the port forwarding.

I use the same ISP for both my home and business, and for some reason my ISP has ports 80 and 81 blocked at home when accessing the DVR from outside my LAN. Try 81, 82, or 83 and see if that doesn't work.

Your actual public (WAN) IP address can be found by going to ipchicken.com. That is what you will use when viewing your cameras from outside your LAN. (e.g. from your iPhone app over cellular). Also, if you are a cable subscriber, I wouldn't even bother with Dynamic DNS. For me it was a pain in the neck getting it to work. Even if you have a "dynamic" IP address, cable providers seldom ever change your WAN IP address. For example, it's been over a year since the last time my IP address has changed. You might as well treat your dynamic IP address from your cable provider as a static IP address. The only time this might be an issue is if you are out of town and it just so happens to change while you are gone, then you won't be able see your cameras until you find out what your new IP address is.

The period before the public IP address changes is called the lease-time, Virgin media have a long lease time it's true but they are unusual exception, most ISPs you've only got to hiccup and they change your IP and its proper to use a DNS server rather than your CCTV going down at an inconvenient time. Only an amateur would think this acceptable.

I myself have Virgin media and in all the time I've been with them I have never lost my connection. I know my public iP changes about every six months, but there are lease -time rules and exceptions. If there is a loss of service even for 30 second, you IP address will change, there are other circumstances any of which can happen at anytime that will cause your IP address to change.

I charge my customers for this service and cannot afford for them to be bothered about IP address changing, all they want to do is see their cameras on their phone or PC remotely. They don't want to learn networking or CCTV. Any interruption in this is a failure to me.

Obviously if you want to ignore the dynamic IP thats up to you (and I can appreciate why you might think it's no inconvenience, to you) but please don't advise others to do the same, its not clever and it's not good advice. Members come on here to get good solid advice not amateurish unprofessional held together with sticky tape solutions. (No OFFENCE intended I ASSURE YOU)

Sounds like dual NAT routing.

1. When inside using wireless what is you internal IP?

2. When your outside what is your IP? Ipchicken.com

What is the address of the DVR inside?

While inside log into your router and under WAN or Status tab, what is your WAN IP shown as?

I bet it starts with 192.168.1.x or 10.0.1.x or 10.1.1.x

Obviously if you want to ignore the dynamic IP thats up to you (and I can appreciate why you might think it's no inconvenience, to you) but please don't advise others to do the same, its not clever and it's not good advice. Members come on here to get good solid advice not amateurish unprofessional held together with sticky tape solutions. (No OFFENCE intended I ASSURE YOU)

Indeed you're right I probably shouldn't have weighed in with what amounts to little more than band-aid solution instead of a thorough solution, but the scary thing is this kind of solution is exactly what Samsung's CCTV tech support told me back when I first got a unit and called them trying to get my cameras to work.

Good Morning Varascope and Numb-nuts,

Yesterday i contacted my service provider in Zambia and discussed the issues I am facing whilst trying to log into the DVR from outside my wireless network. He advised me to get a fixed APN, as the current system I am using is through a cell phone chip via 3G and is not fixed. He wouldn't go into further details, as he could see I'm not a fundi on these systems but advised me that I should get a fixed/constant APN using a different 'product' from them. This product would see us get a constant/set APN but depending the on the size of my wallet would range from speeds of 125kps - 8 gig (if that makes sense). He explained that on my current system (cell phone chip 3G) we are charged on bundles and not speed but if I want a set APN then they would calculate our package on speed and not bundle size. To have a set APN will cost us significantly more than our current package.

Varascope to answer your question - my DVR IP is 192.168.0.110 and laptop 192.168.0.103 (within our LAN)

When inside my LAN (ipchicken.com) my IP varies from 41.223.119.17 to 41.223.119.29 (this is what I’ve noticed from the few days of testing and trying to figure what the issue is) and outside this morning it is telling me that the IP is 41.223.119.30 - is the number 41.223.119.30 my WAN/public IP?

Numb-nut to answer your question - I raised the issue of using a DNS to access my DVR from anywhere outside my LAN. He indicated that this would not work as my WAN or Public IP would always change. Is this true?

Forgive me if I am boring you with trivial questions but i would like to get a good understanding of what I’m trying to achieve - so that my service provider doesn't try to pull a quick one on me!

Is there no way around me having to change to a set APN, either by DNS or another route? As what my service provider is proposing will cost me nearly 6 times what i am paying and that's for the slow connection speed. a

Regards

DK

Indeed you're right I probably shouldn't have weighed in with what amounts to little more than band-aid solution instead of a thorough solution, but the scary thing is this kind of solution is exactly what Samsung's CCTV tech support told me back when I first got a unit and called them trying to get my cameras to work.

Tech support probably told you that because helping customers set up ddns would take another 15-30 mins haha.

While inside, log into your router and under WAN or Status tab, what is your WAN IP shown as?

Not your IP chicken address. Is this address in your inside the router WAN address match IP chicken?

While inside, log into your router and under WAN or Status tab, what is your WAN IP shown as?

Not your IP chicken address. Is this address in your inside the router WAN address match IP chicken?

Sir I have this problem. please help me what to do if WAN IP not equal to Public IP...

I set-up a DDNS I can remotely access my cctv only if WAN IP is equal to Public IP. I have to restart my router every time for them to be the same. so I find my DDNS meaningless

hope you can help

My Router WAN IP is Static while the ipchicken shows private IP...

is ISP the problem why i cannot view remotely?