Faith Defender

How do I make my IP static, for constant web access to CCTV?

Good afternoon everybody, first post here.

Firstly - I know this must be a very regular question from newbies like myself, I do appreciate that it may be annoying.

I have before anyone asked, googled this question, but I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing.

Here goes:

So I have got a Sunluxy H.264 8 Channel DVR running 4 Cams. I have after lot's of fiddling about managed to access my camaras from my phone or another computer anywhere via the internet, but the IP address I use to access keeps changing?

I understand I need to stop my IP address from being Dynamic to Static, but how do I do this?

From Google, I keep getting linked to DynDNS although I believe that is no longer free. I use Sky Broadband on a Sky router if that is any help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frazer.

Looks like Sky locks things up fairly tightly for at least some DNS options, but there are ways around it if you don't want to pay them for a static IP address (I assume it's an option). Start reading this link- http://tech.johnwalker.me.uk/opendns-and-sky-broadband-router-workaround/

That is if there isn't a DDNS option in the router itself. I access my cams from outside my home network via my router's built-in free DDNS service. .asuscomm.com is what I've got in my phone to access my home network instead of, say, 234.432.123.100 for an external IP address. My router constantly keeps track of what my IP gives me for an IP and updates .asuscomm.com whenever it's needed.

You can not make your IP static. The only way to get a static IP is to pay for it monthly. (i.e to sky or BT....)

Try and use a free DNS service. With free ones you have to remember to log in to your account once every 30 days or they will deactivate your account.

Something like http://www.noip.com/ would do.

You can also find our your current IP address via this page: http://ip2location.com

As far as I can read, Sky do not offer a static IP, monthly fee or not.

Sky also, do not allow any router to be used other than their own, they do have a DynDNS service, but DynDNS is no longer free, nor can you have an account for longer than 14 days without paying. Those who did register before the change in 2013, can use the free account if they log in monthly.

What about this No-IP, I'm assuming it can't get my dynamic IP from the Router, but rather a computer let's say - which has to be on 24/7?

Frazer.

Your computer doesn't have to be switched on at all for the dynamic dns provider to monitor your changing IP address.

All you need is your dvr connected to your router with an ethernet cable and if they're both switched on you'll be able to access your cctv images externally via WAN at any time you want.

I don't think NO-IP is free as I tried a couple of weeks ago to set my system up to be viewed externally like you're trying to do, fortunately I bought a Dahua dvr and they provide a free Dynamic DNS service that I used with our Virgin internet connection.

Your router is the center of your home LAN. It dishes out the IP addresses to all the devices on your home network. These are usually Dynamic. The DVR is a device on your home network, but because e need to access it from outside the LAN we need to know wheat address on your LAN to address when we want to access it. For that reason, it requires a static local IP. There are two ways of doing this depending on your router. Some routers recognize there is a static IP on the device and set that address aside, but on some the address has to be reserved manually but the user.

Now we come to your network in terms of the WWW, to find it we need again to know at what address to find yout network. Since most home networks have a Dynamic IP address (IP Address changes) we need a method of keeping track of what your network IP address is.

Of course you could have your ISP provide a static IP address but that is relatively expensive. There are other alternatives and the most reliable is DDND (Dynamic Domain Name Server). The two best known DDNS services on the internet today are NO-IP and DYN. That is not to say these are the ONLY services available. Both offer a free service which is effectively a free one month trial and not intended for continued use These services both offer a pro service which allows you to create several hostnames and includes the annual subscription so no need to keep logging in and re registering every 30 days. ( How ridiculous)

Written into your DVR software is a DDNS service updater which updates the server to advise what your network's public IP address is after it changes. In this way instead of using a IP address for your server address in the settings of remote devices, you simply add a hostname you created and this hostname addresses the server to know where to find your network.

DDNS updates. The DDNS update software can be either in the DVR or the Router or on any device on the LAN since they are all n communication with your router and gateway

I have most of my customers using the DDNS service that I provide and correctly set up, it is 99% as reliable as having a static IP address and there is no discernible difference in use. DDNS is a cheaper and as reliable as having a static IP. The only potential thing that can go wrong is the server's domain is allowed to expire which hapened to me recently, but that aside there is little to go wrong.

Your computer doesn't have to be switched on at all for the dynamic dns provider to monitor your changing IP address.

All you need is your dvr connected to your router with an ethernet cable and if they're both switched on you'll be able to access your cctv images externally via WAN at any time you want.

I don't think NO-IP is free as I tried a couple of weeks ago to set my system up to be viewed externally like you're trying to do, fortunately I bought a Dahua dvr and they provide a free Dynamic DNS service that I used with our Virgin internet connection.

This is what I currently have, my DVR is hooked to the router via an Ethernet cable, and I have opened Port 60001 (Which the DVR told me it was using)

I can access my Cams by going to http:// MY.I.P.ADDRESS:60001 - but that's the problem, my IP Address is changing almost daily and the only way I can retrieve my IP address when out is if my partner is in. It's not how I want it.

Your router is the center of your home LAN. It dishes out the IP addresses to all the devices on your home network. These are usually Dynamic. The DVR is a device on your home network, but because e need to access it from outside the LAN we need to know wheat address on your LAN to address when we want to access it. For that reason, it requires a static local IP. There are two ways of doing this depending on your router. Some routers recognize there is a static IP on the device and set that address aside, but on some the address has to be reserved manually but the user.

Now we come to your network in terms of the WWW, to find it we need again to know at what address to find yout network. Since most home networks have a Dynamic IP address (IP Address changes) we need a method of keeping track of what your network IP address is.

Of course you could have your ISP provide a static IP address but that is relatively expensive. There are other alternatives and the most reliable is DDND (Dynamic Domain Name Server). The two best known DDNS services on the internet today are NO-IP and DYN. That is not to say these are the ONLY services available. Both offer a free service which is effectively a free one month trial and not intended for continued use These services both offer a pro service which allows you to create several hostnames and includes the annual subscription so no need to keep logging in and re registering every 30 days. ( How ridiculous)

Written into your DVR software is a DDNS service updater which updates the server to advise what your network's public IP address is after it changes. In this way instead of using a IP address for your server address in the settings of remote devices, you simply add a hostname you created and this hostname addresses the server to know where to find your network.

DDNS updates. The DDNS update software can be either in the DVR or the Router or on any device on the LAN since they are all n communication with your router and gateway

I have most of my customers using the DDNS service that I provide and correctly set up, it is 99% as reliable as having a static IP address and there is no discernible difference in use. DDNS is a cheaper and as reliable as having a static IP. The only potential thing that can go wrong is the server's domain is allowed to expire which hapened to me recently, but that aside there is little to go wrong.

Sky do not allow a service for a static IP.

Sky only have an option in router settings for DynDNS, but I believe I can not do this for free.

1. You'll either have to pay $25 a year to use the service from (dyndns.org or dyn.com) and enter the details in the settings on your Sky router to set it up for DDNS service. It appears that the Sky router only supports dyndns.org or dyn.com so to use another provider you have option 2.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/content/178-dynamic-dns.html

Or

2. Find a free Dynamic DNS provider ( or one that costs less than $25 to use ) and access the menu pages in your dvr software and set it up for a DDNS service.

Edited by Guest

Sky do not allow a service for a static IP.

Sky only have an option in router settings for DynDNS, but I believe I can not do this for free.

This is NOT a static IP, it's an alternative to a static public IP address. For $29.00 pa you get upto 30 DDND hostnames.

Now I realize you only require one but there is no other way that is practical. You can also use a DDNS account to access your own cloud storage located at home but accesible from anywhere in the world that has a internet connection. Just think of it your private file accesible from anywhere and if your system goes down, none of your data is lost?

However if you were able to have a static IP from sky it would likely cost you about $80 - $120 pa anyway.

There is one alternative forthose users that have not purchased their DVR yet and that is the DVR manufacturer often offers a free DDNS service FOC for life. Hikvision is one of those manufacturers for example.

I might just buy a DynDNS account then, how easy is it to set up?

Hi. Both sky and BT offer static ip (same network) need to request it.

As far as I can read, Sky do not offer a static IP, monthly fee or not.

Sky also, do not allow any router to be used other than their own, they do have a DynDNS service, but DynDNS is no longer free, nor can you have an account for longer than 14 days without paying. Those who did register before the change in 2013, can use the free account if they log in monthly.

What about this No-IP, I'm assuming it can't get my dynamic IP from the Router, but rather a computer let's say - which has to be on 24/7?

Frazer.

What type of router is it?

No-ip works great!