taco

QVIS networking issue

Hello guys

i just recently installed a Qvis Medusa DVR which comes with the supposed no-fuss P2P set up. the problem is, once i have scanned the QR code into the mobile app provided, it sees the DVR & settings, but doesnt connect.

If i logon to Qvis cloud i can access the DVR that way no problem.

The client has a Sky router, which i have had a poke around with, but theres nothing in the routers settings for P2P.

anyone came across this or have an idea of a workaround?

cheers

anyone?????

i really need some kind of solution for saturday morning as they are going away to america for 4 months!

Hi Mate, I have never used this set up but this is usually a firewall issue on the router. You need to find out which port the software (in this case the mobile app) uses to access the DVR this is sometimes port 37777. Once you have this you can either port forward port 37777 to the IP address of the DVR or you can set the DVR to be in the DMZ of the network (not recommended). You can normally access the DVR via the web service because that will use port 80 which is by default not blocked on most routers because it is the port that browsers such as Internet Explorer use to access websites.

I know your setup is not supposed to need the above but it has to be worth a try in the long run. First I would go in to the router setting and put the DVR IP in to the DMZ of the router. You will see this option if you browse the settings. If this works then you just need to work out which router setting is working against you.

You have to also consider that browsing from a computer that is on the same broadband connection may be ok but then using a phone on the mobile phone carriers network would not work due to it being an external connection which would be subject to the firewall of the router. Try the mobile app when connected to the house wifi and then when its not and on its own data connection - if it works when on wifi and not on mobile data then its a router firewall issue most likely.

Sorry I cant be more specific but I only just seen your post and wont be on much now and wanted to include as much as i could.

Hope you sort it

James

I don't know why you didn't just port forward the thing from the start. Those cloud based DVRs are fine but after a few years when technology moves on, manufacturers are going to resent keeping those cloud servers going and will simply abandon you and your client. Eventually they will all be abandoned and will all have to be port forwarded anyway.

I'm amazed to hear this question here since QVIS have a terrific tech support team who have always been great with such questions.

If you don't know how to port forward, you need to teach yourself, with a bit of patience you will crack it.

If you work in CCTV you need to know it anyway but I'm not sure you will crack it before tomorrow. Hats off to you if you can...

Port forward everytime... Does the Medusa use PSS or CMS? for CMS the media port is 34567 by default and if it uses PSS the deafult port will be 377777. Some DVRs that use CMS can be made to use PSS by opening an extra port with a value 100 more than the original port you set. Then place the higher port number in the PSS settings, No changes to the DVR settings are required.

These cloud based servers where designed for those that don't wish to learn how to port forward. It is a tool to make CCTV more plug ' play

IMHO Default ports should always be used unless there are more than one DVR through a single router, or unless the ISP has the ports you want blocked, or another network device uses the required ports. If your client doesn't have a ststic IP you will have to set up a DDNS account and provide the client with a hostname. With a DDNS account you can create upto 30 hostnames per account, so it makes more sense that you open the account and put clients on the DDNS account. There is nothing to stop you making an annual charge for the hostname since you will have to pay an annual charge. I do this and not one of my clients has ever complained, and you can make a profit from offering this service.

Definitely a router issue. A quick and dirty fix it to just put the DVR in the router's DMZ.

Definitely a router issue. A quick and dirty fix it to just put the DVR in the router's DMZ.

Oh that's what it stands for Dirty Miitarized Zone .....

By the way he means assign the DVRs IP to the DMZ a quick fix for sure but you still have to create rules.

If your DVR came with CMS the default ports are 34567, 34599, 554, 80 554 is the RTSP port

If your DVR came with PSS the default ports are 37777, 37778, 554, 80

I always open the RTSP port, they may not need it now but they won't be happy if it's needed later and have to pay you to come out and do it again.

On a SKY router SR101 / 2 from what I remember provided the DVR is listed under attached devices you then need to go to the reserved address and reserve the DVRs IP address to remove it from the DHCP range and also to prevent any other device with that IP from using it. The original mac number is saved along with the device IP and therefore if you later changed the DVR and gave it exactly the same settings, it wouldn't work through the router. You'd have to either change the DVRs IP and reserve that with the new mac number and reassign your rules destination OR

you'd have to remove the original reserved IP and restart the router and the DVR and stat a fresh, then the rules would work again having edited and re assigned them tho the reserved IP;

You can also set the DDNS within the router but if they need a new router or replace it its a port forwarding job again (hopefully when business is a little quiet) you are enitled to apply a charge for that.

Unfortunately this router is not listed with portforward.com

Oh that's what it stands for Dirty Miitarized Zone .....
Agreed, but unless it's a XPe or PC-based DVR, why not? I'm sure there's some rare hacks for even standalone units, but what are the odds of really having an attack?

The medusa uses ports 80 for web 8000 for TCP and 3000 for cloud. The cloud app is called Medusa and will also work with standard port forwarded setups.

Also, nice that someone thinks we're terrific

Im having the exact same issue, even got cctvtechsupport involved and they cant figure it out either, can view on cloud but not on ipad or iphone on home network let alone when out and about, all ports are open 8000,3000,8001, 554 etc and all verified as open , is this a qvis app integration problem?

Im having the exact same issue, even got cctvtechsupport involved and they cant figure it out either, can view on cloud but not on ipad or iphone on home network let alone when out and about, all ports are open 8000,3000,8001, 554 etc and all verified as open , is this a qvis app integration problem?
Probably some sort of ibug or iproblem.

Seriously, check to see if there have been any other reports of issues like this on those platforms. If everything else is working, sounds like an issue with those devices and the qvis app.