MrMxyzptlk

Best Router and Swtich Tech for Camera Systems

So, the other day I put in a nine camera system for a customer and while trying to get the system online the router went crazy. It was an old router and cratered for some reason or other so I replaced the router with a stock one

I carry. When I looked at their "switch" under the counter that POS and Credit Card Machine was hooked to I found out it was a wireless router that had been lobotomized (DDNS turned off, etc.. to make it into a defacto switch). It too was not playing well with others so I grabbed an old switch I had laying around that was from a previous project that didn't happen and I set it up.

After powering everything down and then bringing it back up in sequence (modem, router, switch, device) and doing the required port forwarding and setting changes their mysterious internet problems went away and they were pulling 50K downloads. I was the hero, accolades and flowers rained upon my head, etcetera.

All this got me thinking. Since routers and switches aren't that costly to begin with would it make sense to plan on replacing such hardware on any installation where the hardware is old or simply not the tech you prefer to work with? If that were a good idea, what brand of hardware would be best? I've dealt with many different kinds of tech over the years and some was better than others. So what would you use in such a situation?

Best Wireless Router and why.

Best Wired Only Router and why.

Best Switch and why.

Also optimal number of ports for each.

Discuss.

Gracias

All this got me thinking. Since routers and switches aren't that costly to begin with would it make sense to plan on replacing such hardware on any installation where the hardware is old or simply not the tech you prefer to work with?

This has been part of my process with system design for the last several years. Knowing what kind of hardware exists beforehand will ultimately determine whether or not it will have to be replaced, or if it can handle the workload. I normally find that the existing router, at the very least, needs to be replaced. This is all depending on the amount of strain the system will put on bandwidth.

The Netgear Nighthawk works better than anything else I've got my hands on and with it going down it price, I don't know that you can do much better for the money. I don't know what kind of selling points you're looking for here, but it's powerful and very customize-able while maintaining the simplicity that Netgear has become known for.

I tend to stick with Linksys or Netgear for switches. No reason other than that's what's always worked reliably for me, has the least amount of failures, and seems to last the longest.

You didn't mention access points but I imagine it might come up at some point. I've been using Ubiquiti for awhile. Their failure rate is minimal at best, but I will say that when one of there products does break down, getting them to honor their warranty equates to about 2 weeks of ***ing and trying to get them to reply to you.

All this got me thinking. Since routers and switches aren't that costly to begin with would it make sense to plan on replacing such hardware on any installation where the hardware is old or simply not the tech you prefer to work with?

This has been part of my process with system design for the last several years.

It has become part of mine. After a fiscal debacle with a customer who was unplugging her system every time we left to keep hackers out we have included a sentence about troubleshooting the existing system to get our gear to work with it costs extra to make it clear where the quote ends and extra labor begins. Since this last job where I had to use the clause and wound up replacing hardware I am thinking about hardware replacement and just geeking the whole system up from square one.

The Netgear Nighthawk works better than anything else I've got my hands on ....

I tend to stick with Linksys or Netgear for switches. ....

You didn't mention access points but I imagine it might come up at some point. I've been using Ubiquiti for awhile. ...

I shall look into them and keep a price sheet handy, Linksys and Netgear are both ones I have had luck with in the past as well.

As for customer service nightmares Corby cant be beat. I've been waiting for two months for a reply to a question. I fixed the problem, billed the customer and got paid. Still no answer from Corby.

Their failure rate is minimal at best, but I will say that when one of there products does break down, getting them to honor their warranty equates to about 2 weeks of ***ing and trying to get them to reply to you.

hi,

1. wireless router: linksys, netgear, ,,a normal 4 LAN +1 WAN one support DDNS is ok according to your situation.

PS: wireless security, cause this is the network for your cctv, pos ,,, so do not let others connect to.

2. wired one: generally for small business. it`s much more safer than wireless one.

3. switch: layer 2 is ok. a managed/gigabit/8 ports one is more or less.

PS: support multicast for