Sign in to follow this  
ginger john

how to share viewing online

Hi

i.ll try to explain what i'm after and hopefully someone might be able to help.

i basically want to put a camera in one of my bird nest boxes. ideally wireless and be able to put it. on a forum that i use. so my friends can watch live video of events happening. but doing this safely so that no one can access any settings when viewing. also are there any laws against doing this.

a little bit about the distances and what i have .

i have a o2 wireless router.

the distance from the bird box to the router is 130 feet. the house is built from brick so 2 brick walls and a block built garage plus the timber shed stand between the router and bird box. a booster or something else can be moved upstairs giving a clearer direct signal if needed.

if this is possible any advise on whats needed would be greatly appreciated thank you,

You will need port forwarding to see it outside your network. As for the wireless part, use a pair of wireless bridges and you should be good to go.

Engenius makes some reasonably priced options, but companies like Ubitquiti and Cisco also make excellent stuff in this area. 130 feet should not be an issue as long as you have CLEAR line of site between the two points. I am not talking direct line of sight, I mean the entire fresnel zone (it is football shaped). Here are two diagrams, one for fresnel zone and one for port forwarding.

252812_1.jpg

246779_1.png

sorry for the late reply tomcctv and ssnapier.

yes tomcctv i do have power at the birdhouse end i do already have a cctv system in place. i'm using a baxall 16 channel multiplexer. its a older system but its working great. but i cant really run anymore cables to the house so thats why i'm looking at wireless ways of doing this.

thankyou ssnapier. haha i think i'll have to get a more computer saffie guy than me to work this one out .

do you think something like this would work for me. or is the distance to great.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Wifi-Wireless-IP-CCTV-Camera-Security-Network-IR-Night-Vision-Monitor-Cam-UK-/161241367538?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item258abc03f2

sorry for the late reply tomcctv and ssnapier.

yes tomcctv i do have power at the birdhouse end i do already have a cctv system in place. i'm using a baxall 16 channel multiplexer. its a older system but its working great. but i cant really run anymore cables to the house so thats why i'm looking at wireless ways of doing this.

thankyou ssnapier. haha i think i'll have to get a more computer saffie guy than me to work this one out .

do you think something like this would work for me. or is the distance to great.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Wifi-Wireless-IP-CCTV-Camera-Security-Network-IR-Night-Vision-Monitor-Cam-UK-/161241367538?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item258abc03f2

Hi. If it's only a cable problem you have .... Might look at putting upto 8 cameras down one existing coax

hi tomcctv

yes it is a cable issue. although i do have cctv cameras already in place i didn't set it up the straight forward easy way.

ive got the multiplexer in the bird house with the cameras and power to the cameras. all in the same place . i then have just 2 cables running all the way to my house. one is the cable that goes directly into my tv from the multiplexer the other cable is a ethernet cable going from the multiplexer to a remote keyboard. doing it this way saved me running 16 camera cables from the shed to the house. and it works for me. so no direct camera cables come into the house.

so this is why i'm looking at the wireless option,