xavier4or

Is it better to have 1 16-port POE switch or 2 8-port POE?

I have outgrown my 8-port POE switch and was going to upgrade to a 16-port POE switch but I was reading that is better to have 2 or 3 POE switch for load balancing?

Is this true / recommended set-up (2-3x POE switches)?

Thanks!

Very true - I wonder if that (reliability, no single point of failure) - was the message from another thread I was reading...

I originally thought the poster was indicating you get better throughout / bandwidth / mux'ing by have 2-3 POEs switches - but maybe it is from a "don't put all your eggs into 1 basket" standpoint as you mentioned.

So do most folks have 2-3 switches at home for their cameras then?

I would go for two separate 8 ports. Like you said, "Don't put all your eggs in once basket."

This is the same reason I recommend using a separate switch instead of purchasing NVRs that have them built in.

There is no problem at all connecting two switches together or even three. Like others said it's nice to not

have a single point of failure. With that said, i would strongly recommend you connect the switches together with Gigabit ethernet,

the other ports could be 10/100 since i'm sure your cameras won't push anywhere near 100Mbps but for future proofing, use gigabit

for connecting switches as well as your server/pc with a gigabit connection.

I 4th that idea.

Go with a second 8 port Poe switch.

It'll most likely be cheaper to just get a second 8 port and reliability will be better for the reason already said.

One switch takes a dump, you don't lose all of your cameras.

With analogue Balns I always found it beneficial to have two 8 way baluns or even 1 x 8 way and 2 x 4 way balun recievers.

The 16 way rack mounted balun wasnt practical or helpful at all and it restricted my installation options.

Now I know you are talking about IP systems and IP switches and my experience with these is VERY limited indeed

I still feel there are benefits to separating out the switching of the cameras,

Theres no reason why you cant use two 8 way switches, both plugged direct into the router ( not daiseychaned)

or even 4 x 5 way switches this would minimize any loss if one switch were to take a dive and it would be a geat indicator of what was wrong if fur specific cameras on a single switch went down I think I know where my first port of call would be...

eggs and baskets my friend, eggs and baskets.

hi,

the key point to be considered is the power consumption of you powered devices.

1. the power consumption of the poe switch itself

2. the power consumption of each powered devices.

making choice:

1. port number: generally, there`s no different for 2*8port poe switch or 1*16port poe switch

2. IEEE802.3af/at: according to the power consumption of each powered devices and the power consumption of poe switch itself

3. power budget: pay attention to the total power consumption

4. cabling: take it into consideration is necessary

hope it will be helpful to you.