Sign in to follow this  
Colm

Rj45 ends

Is cat 6 a better option for a ssolid connection for the Rj45 ends. I seem to be getting a lot of network problems using the cat 5

What kind of problems are you having? Changing to CAT-6 will not make a difference except in a few very limited cases, most of which have nothing to do with a CCTV application.

You may not be crimping the ends correctly. Cat 5 is actually a thinner cable and from experience is a lot easier to attach the ends. Recently I installed 5 cameras with 4 cables using cat6 and 1 using cat 5. I have not noticed any difference in speed, image quality. Cat 6 is better for future proofing but right now cat 5 is just fine.

A properly made Cat5e cable will work fine up to Gigabit Ethernet.

Make sure the cable is copper, not CCA.

Make sure the wires are in the correct order, 568b is the standard.

Make sure that the twists of the pairs begin inside the connector as close to the split as possible. I see a lot of spaghetti strings going into connectors lately.

also be sure all cables have made it correctly into the connector, I see this all the time where the cables haven't made it in correctly resulting in spotty connections. If you do this for a living go with the EZ-RJ45 connectors, you can see the cable come out the end of the connector to verify everything is good.

I never trusted crimped on connectors before I started playing with cat6 (done by me or anyone else).

Cat6 has been flawless and easy to work with - very reliable. Someone here recommended monoprice & they kick @ss.... I have it in black, white, yellow, orange, it's cheap and makes it easy to keep different subnets (POS, cameras, phones, whatever) separated. I've had a little difficulty with some cat6, I think it was stranded, but I'm not sure...I do want to pick up some stranded though.

I've been working with one of these crimp tools for the last couple months, it has it's quirks but I like it enough to post it here:

258565_1.jpg

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023203&p_id=2113&seq=1&format=2