Sign in to follow this  
NewbyB

POE Injector Vs Switch (When you need each)

Can somebody please explain to me WHEN you would need or use each (POE injector vs switch). I have done reading about them and understand the concept of each. However, most articles only explain what each does and NOT when it is best to use one or the other and for what types of applications you use each.

Ultimately, this is what I want to do. I want to run 4 60ft cat 5 or 6 lines in my attic, hook up 4 Ip Poe cameras, and have them record to a surveillance drive in my desktop computer. Would an injector or a switch be better? Any recommendations on what to use? I am hoping to hook up something like 2 domes and 2 bullets, most likely Dahua or Hikvision.

Here is the router that I have:

http://store.linksys.com/Linksys-WRT-HUB_stcVVcatId553965VVviewcat.htm

Thank you!

It all depends on the Camera and/or Switch, if you have a switch that can Only hand up to 40W output to cameras and you have 4 cameras and each camera requires 9W each and you have all 4 Cameras on that would be limit, but whenever the IR cut on at night, it will request more watts and if all 4 kick there IR's on at the same time then you will have issues. Check the compatibility of the switch and add up all you camera watts and if you have at least 10watts extra after all cameras are installed than you should be good but if not, i would put half of the cameras on injectors but i doubt you will have any issues with 4 Cameras on a POE Switch these days, unless you go REALLY CHEAP!!

If you are going with standard hikvision or dahua cameras you will be fine with shokwaves switch. They only consume 3-7w of power. The only time you would use an injector is if you are only powering one camera or an odd number line 5, so you need that one extra connection.

This is all great info. Thank you. Another question I have is what is an "unmanaged" switch? When would you use one?

Unmanaged switches only operate at layer 2, which means it can't perform any routing, vlans etc. You would use one when you only really need a smart hub. Unmanaged switches also won't be able to handle QoS or advanced security protocols like radius, port filtering, storm control etc.

It all depends on the functionality you require. If you just want to connect a couple of devices from the same lan and thats it (plug and play) then an unmanaged switch will be fine, assuming it can handle the traffic. If you want more control over your network then start looking at smart or managed switches. Smart switches are often more feature rich than unmanaged switches, but not as much as managed switches.

Go with PoE switch, you do not deal with an extra switch or PoE injector. PoE switch is all-in-one box with no additional appliance and the ports on it can be used to manage both network and power. While PoE injector can be added onto existing networks with no need to change the switch and is easy to mount anywhere. For 24/48 port poe switch: https://www.fs.com/c/1g-switches-3255?poe-switches=21111

Go with PoE switch, you do not deal with an extra switch or Poe Injector - https://www.poeinjector.net. PoE switch is all-in-one box with no additional appliance and the ports on it can be used to manage both network and power. While PoE injector can be added onto existing networks with no need to change the switch and is easy to mount anywhere. For 24/48 port poe switch: https://www.poeinjector.net

Poe injector is much easy to setup,but there isn't so many ports to use.