philooo

Which switch offer POE control - to reset poe camera

I am looking for a switch which offer control of the PoE port so that I can reset camera when I need to.

I am looking at the Netgear managed switch M4100-D10-POE but looking at the very complex documentation I don't see anywhere a function to tun on/off the ports.

How do they call that function ? and do all managed PoE switch offer it ?

thanks in advance.

Phil.

That's an interesting question. Most POE switches just have the power on and that's it.

If you don't have a problem with resetting all the POE cameras, you can use a outlet reset switch like ones from 3g store. We use one to automatically reset a router every day.

Other than that, I think you would be looking into managed switches that would have a lot of vlan and remote management capabilities (expensive).

I just installed a NETGEAR GS108PE managed switch with a PC server I configured. Honestly, the whole "managed" feature proved to be more hectic nuisance than anything. It wouldn't play nice with the router that it was configured with, ended up uninstalling the software it came with and running it manual, as I did on the unmanaged version of this switch, the GS108P, which in conclusion I'm going to stick with.

However, these aren't the enterprise class server rack sized you may be looking for, but I hope this helps

The Cisco Small Business line is excellent at this, and tends to work with most other equipment. I use Netgear stuff too, but generally in smaller projects where I am spec-ing all of the equipment myself. In a larger project where it might be talking to equipment that I have no control over, the Cisco stuff is the way to go.

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/routers_switches/index.html-tab-Switches