versed

cpu question

I'm building a computer to handle 5-8 1mp cameras. Will be using Geovision cameras and software. Is there any reason that I cannot build the system using a cpu that has the graphics built in the CPU, instead of a separate video card? Looking at the Intel Haswell line of cpu's.

Also, should I consider the I3 or I5 series. I have no clue if I need a dual core or quad core.

I would use a separate dedicated graphics card, this will free up resources from the built in graphics and will give you the best result.

I highly recommend using the CPU-integrated graphics. Geovision system supports GPU-Decoding feature which will use the h.264 decoding capabilities of the Intel cpu-integrated GPU to decode the video streams. This will actually result in MUCH LOWER CPU usage compared to using dedicated graphics card which DOES NOT support accelerated h.264 decoding.

Details are in the Geovision Technical manual, also see below thread where I posted some side-by-side test results: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=31552

EDIT: forgot to mention, a dual-core i3 will have plenty of power for [8] 1mp cams.

I currently maintain a GV-NVR with an i3-2100 which expanded far beyond what was originally anticipated, it's running a mix of [26] 1mp and 2mp cams. CPU is a constant ~65% but spikes up to 100% when there is a few LAN users logged into Multicam. Its handling it OK but I will be upgrading it to an i7-3770S at some point in the next few months.

gb5102:

Thanks so much. Looks like the graphics on the cpu is becoming very common for all except intense graphic work or gaming.

Looking at the requirements for the latest Geovision software it appears they are recommending an i3 for up to 4 GV cameras and an i5 3.3ghz for any more. Are more advanced i.e. quad core and faster speed processors just necessary in the playback of video monitor software?? In other words, what aspect of camera monitoring requires more cpu power?

thanks

The biggest impact on the processor is in recording if its running at an average of 5 frames(pictures) a second per camera every second of every minute of every hour for 24hrs a day 7 days a week.. basically the record process is a constant one. If you then add on a seperate viewing process you can see how a powerfull processor is required. better to have MORE instead of LESS- WITH more you will get the job done.

I really don't think you will have an issue running 8 cams on an i3, but as stated by jazzar - "better to have MORE instead of LESS"

With IP cams, recording actually has the LEAST impact on CPU since the camera is doing all the 'work' encoding the stream, the NVR just has to write the already-encoded stream to disc. However, motion detection and other 'video analytics' DOES require some CPU power at the NVR.

The biggest loads are:

-DEcoding to display the cameras on the NVR's local monitor, which is where the Intel GPU's H.264 decoding feature makes a big difference

-REencoding the video to a different size/format/codec to send out to remote-view clients

On the 26-cam system with an i3 mentioned in my last post, the CPU is able to keep up no problem UNTIL you get remote user(s) logged into MultiView, then it spikes to 100% and start to drop frames.(the recorded video is OK, but the remote viewing gets very 'laggy')

That makes sense, and the i5 processor is only about $100 more so might as well have a little more power. Main thing is being able to use the onboard video and I understand what you are saying about the decoding.

By the way where is the "%" of CPU usage read. Is this a measurement value that's found in the Win OS or in the Geovision software. I've played with the GV program and don't recall seeing it.

Either of you have a favorite brand of switch? I'll need POE capabilities and I would assume 10/100/1000 rating. Based on what I've read doubt I'll need a "managed" switch.

CPU usage is read via Windows Task Manager or Perfmon.

I really like ZyXEL switches(and firewalls)- they are relatively cheap, well-built and have proven to be reliable. This is a favorite for smaller installs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181164

A 10/100 PoE switch would likely be fine(and save a few bucks) for 8 cams depending on the frame-rate you plan on running. At full 30fps you'd be at about 10mbps per cam which would be pushing it on a 100mb switch, but if you drop down to 15fps you will be at ~5mbps per cam in which case 10/100 would be fine...

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/Bandwidth.asp

Managed switches are nice for troubleshooting purposes and required if you need the capability to run VLANs or remotely power-cycle cams, probably not needed on a small/home install