floridacorp

DX8000 and video capture cards

Hello everyone, This is my first post here. I'm a Deputy Sheriff in NW FL and have recently been asked to take on our CCTV system. I'm not new at all to computer systems, and have a little experience with these but on a much smaller scale. One of the first things I need to decide is about our DVR's. They are 4 DX8000 and 2 DX8100. My biggest concern with these besides the age is can I use other brands of capture cards in them. We have two with several dead ports. I have not been able to find any Pelco units, but Geovision and others are out there. So has anyone tried to use a third party card in a DX series? Thanks in advance and I'm sure you guys will get tired of me, am spending a lot of hours reading but some things I'm not finding much on.

You could physically install a Geovision card in the chassis and install the Windows drivers for it, but the Pelco DVR software would not recognize a Geovision card. You MAY be able to remove the Pelco software and install the Geovision DVR software but I would say at that point you would be much better off just building or buying a brand-new DVR(s).

So in simplest terms: don't do it.