soccerkid

Special Components for my NVR (PC Build). Ethernet Switch?

Hello to all. It was nice reading posts. But I finally need my first cc system for my business. I would need max of 16 cameras to cover the area.

PC

HDD: 3x 3TB WD Green

CPU: i5 4440 Intel

CPU HS: Thermal Right w/ 140mm Fan

RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 1600mhz

GPU: GB AMD HD6770

Mobo: Asus p8p67 deluxe

PSU: CM 600w Bronze rated

QUESTIONS

1. Other than a mid range gamer pc build, is there any other hardware I need.

2. Do I plug the cameras to a Network Switch then from the switch to pc. Or do I need any other hardware to connect the cameras to PC

3. Will windows 7 x64 be ok? And what are some good softwares I can look into?

Thank you so much in advance for help!!!

QUESTIONS

2. Do I plug the cameras to a Network Switch then from the switch to pc. Or do I need any other hardware to connect the cameras to PC

1. I would advise you against those 3Tb Green HDs; if using WD, go for Purple or Red. Besides the computer, you need the network equipment and cameras.

2. Any network topology will do. You probably want to look at a switch with POE ports to make it easier, so the switch can power the cameras, and you will only need to run one UTP cable to each camera.

3. W7 x64 will be ok. i can not recommend on the software.

QUESTIONS

1. I would advise you against those 3Tb Green HDs; if using WD, go for Purple or Red. Besides the computer, you need the network equipment and cameras.

2. Any network topology will do. You probably want to look at a switch with POE ports to make it easier, so the switch can power the cameras, and you will only need to run one UTP cable to each camera.

3. W7 x64 will be ok. i can not recommend on the software.

1. Thank you for your kind and quick response. OK I will switch to better HDDs.

2. And thanks I understand about the network switch I just need to make sure it is POE. Another question here is, do all IP Cams use UTP cables? Is that similar as Cat5e?

3. Anyone else wants to comment on software? Or should I move to the software section of the forums.

Again Thanks and sorry for the noobieness.

2. And thanks I understand about the network switch I just need to make sure it is POE. Another question here is, do all IP Cams use UTP cables? Is that similar as Cat5e?

Yes, Cat5e is a kind of UTP cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

You could also use Cat6, but unless the distances are huge it is not needed, you can go for cheaper Cat5e.

Dont use a discreet graphics card, it adds heat and consumes extra power and is no benefit in an NVR....

As far as software that will depend on the cameras you intended to use...what brand/model how many?

First you gotta choose your cams then build the NVR around them.

Yes, Cat5e is a kind of UTP cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

You could also use Cat6, but unless the distances are huge it is not needed, you can go for cheaper Cat5e.

Thanks for clarifying. Cheers.

Dont use a discreet graphics card, it adds heat and consumes extra power and is no benefit in an NVR....

As far as software that will depend on the cameras you intended to use...what brand/model how many?

First you gotta choose your cams then build the NVR around them.

Dear Friend, thanks for you kind response.

1. Got it. I won't use a Graphics Card.

2. I haven't decided on which camera. I have no clue where to even start. The market is flooded with huge variety claiming they are the best. If you can make some suggestions I would be in your debt.

-They are for a 3k sq ft. shop.

-The lighting in the shop is on the low side.

-12 Cameras

-10 Cameras will be indoor, 2 outdoor.

As you can see the requirements are not major. I would like to get something with a decent resolution.

How about this camera. It is expensive, and that is a problem.

Any suggestions on a decent cheaper camera.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3EX20C9640

You are joking right? that is a 40 dollar analog camera its junk....thats too expensive?

Look at the hikvision 2032 4mm camera..you can get it for 85-150 depending on where you buy it from. Look at a aliexpress.

Please do more reading before you even build a pc or buy a single camera.

How about this camera. It is expensive, and that is a problem.

Any suggestions on a decent cheaper camera.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3EX20C9640

You are joking right? that is a 40 dollar analog camera its junk....thats too expensive?

Look at the hikvision 2032 4mm camera..you can get it for 85-150 depending on where you buy it from. Look at a aliexpress.

Please do more reading before you even build a pc or buy a single camera.

Thank you so much for your honesty. Well I did about 2 hours of reading today. You are right I am expected to spend a lot more.

The reason I said expensive is because I see a lot of deals with dvrs and such for very cheap. Does this mean that the prepackaged systems use mostly **** cameras.

I am a total noob at this, the only thing I know is making pcs. Is it even worth the time to setup a system NVR, Camera, Soft. versus just buying a system for $600.

Thanks in advance.

Lots of reading to do...

You dont want a cheap analog system that give you 8 cams and a dvr for 200.

You want an ip system. Run ethernet to all cams..use power over ethernet - single wire to each cam. You dont even need a pc. Just use an NVR.

A system like this http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-6-1080p-Cameras.product.100128993.html

You can choose to buy cameras and use a pc for nvr. You will need to buy a poe switch. And software, which can get expensive depending on what you use (some charge 50 dollars per cam or more)...Do not build your own. You can buy a business refurbished pc with the same processor as in your original post for 300 with a next business day warranty. You cannot even buy the processor and OS for that money. But honestly for a novice like you, get a prepackaged system...

Remember the objective for fitting your cameras- is it to catch any criminal or trespass type of event then you WILL want the best quality playback you can get- This usually means that when a cheaper / lower spec cameras are used and you are relying on them for recognition evidence etc you will be let down- more so in low light (night time) conditions.

So bear this in mind when selecting your cameras- don't need to go madly expensive but equally don't go for the cheapest.

I'm sure you will understand that you don't get a Rolls Royce performance by paying buttons.

Good luck.