BrownChiLD

2MP Camera x 2 on 1 Gigabit line ok?

Hi guys

How many 2MP cameras can you push thru 1 Gigabit Cable? = realistically?

I basically have 20 Cameras spread around a wide area.... I'm connecting them all to a 24Port Gigabit switch .. (center/neutral position)..

then a single gigabit line from the switch that runs all the way to the NVR (50 meters away) ..

Soo..

1Gigabit = 1000 Mbps

Twenty 2-Megapixel Cameras at high settings running on 25fps is basically just 156.70 Mbps, as per

http://www.supercircuits.com/resources/tools/network-ip-security-camera-system-bandwidth-calculator

258392_1.png

So is this still alright/relaxed? Can I add more?

any advises?

Regards

TJ

Hi guys

How many 2MP cameras can you push thru 1 Gigabit Cable? = realistically?

I basically have 20 Cameras spread around a wide area.... I'm connecting them all to a 24Port Gigabit switch .. (center/neutral position)..

then a single gigabit line from the switch that runs all the way to the NVR (50 meters away) ..

Soo..

1Gigabit = 1000 Mbps

Twenty 2-Megapixel Cameras at high settings running on 25fps is basically just 156.70 Mbps, as per

So is this still alright/relaxed? Can I add more?

any advises?

Regards

TJ

Yes, u can

My personal rule

no more then 250-300 Mbps per server

plenty of camera calculators out there, this one needs to be installed on your pc- its not just a web page, but it ticks every box allowing you to tweak megapixel size, frames per second activation event percentage, bandwidth required , recording space and number of days with a given hard drive- its pretty awesome. see for yourself:-

https://www.samsung-security.com/Tools/Bandwidth.aspx

let me know what you (or any others reading this think) if you try it out.

Its unusual or not common to be using full 25 pictures a second for general footage. The norm I come across is 5 pics/sec.

so by reducing this you can get many more cameras on your network.

similarly by tweaking other settings more can be had.

just need to get a balance of whats acceptable quality wise for you to maximize your connection.

Make sure you take into consideration how the cameras will be setup are they going to be motion activated ?is the camera always putting out packets? how is the switch programmed? On some switches you can use port aggreation which allows you to tie ports together to allow for more bandwidth on a particular port. What is your setup on the NVR do you have full duplex 1000 or something else?