aurmol

ID or Serial No. based remote access

In the dahua "Add Device".. there is a Register ID option.. this doesn't require you to do port forwarding and add DNS server to be able to remote access it.. what is the generic term of this technology? How does it exactly work? Is the serial number like some kind of DNS stored in the manufacturer servers? Many newer NVR/DVR hasvethis capability..

That is called P2P (peer to peer).

Why do they also called it "Cloud ID"? How is it related to cloud?

And how come past dvr/nvrs didn't use it but the more complicated port forwarding which some private ip internet service can no longer support?

P2P is not better; but it is easier. When connecting to a device with P2P, connection is slower. You are also relaying on third parties (which means that sometime in the future p2P for your device might actually stop working).

For the end user, sure they prefer to scan a QR code with their phones, and be done with it. My devices? I know all of their IPs and have all the needed ports open, because I do know how to do it. I will not use P2P myself, but I understand why many people want it.

No idea on what "cloud id" is. And if any ISP does not allow to forward any ports, I would just switch ISPs.

P2P is not better; but it is easier. When connecting to a device with P2P, connection is slower. You are also relaying on third parties (which means that sometime in the future p2P for your device might actually stop working).

For the end user, sure they prefer to scan a QR code with their phones, and be done with it. My devices? I know all of their IPs and have all the needed ports open, because I do know how to do it. I will not use P2P myself, but I understand why many people want it.

No idea on what "cloud id" is. And if any ISP does not allow to forward any ports, I would just switch ISPs.

In the PSS... there is only option for IP, Domain and Register ID in the Device Manage. Is the PSS capable of P2P access or only by using the web site www.easy4ip.com? Can anyone clarify? Tnx.

In the PSS... there is only option for IP, Domain and Register ID in the Device Manage. Is the PSS capable of P2P access or only by using the web site http://www.easy4ip.com? Can anyone clarify? Tnx.

For Dahua, you have to use SmartPSS for P2P access. PSS does not support P2P (and I doubt they will update PSS any more).

In the PSS... there is only option for IP, Domain and Register ID in the Device Manage. Is the PSS capable of P2P access or only by using the web site http://www.easy4ip.com? Can anyone clarify? Tnx.

For Dahua, you have to use SmartPSS for P2P access. PSS does not support P2P (and I doubt they will update PSS any more).

I've been told twice now that once Smart PSS has the same capabilities, as far as DVR/NVR configuration is concerned, PSS is going to get dropped.

"Probably by mid 2015."

I've been told twice now that once Smart PSS has the same capabilities, as far as DVR/NVR configuration is concerned, PSS is going to get dropped.

"Probably by mid 2015."

First time I tried Smart PSS it was crap. Every time it is geting better and they are adding the new capabilities.

I am quite sure PSS is not being developed any more, there is no reason to develop two programs that do the same.

I still have installers and other people who know what they're doing use PSS. SmartPSS looks nicer and it's fine for the laymen, but I'm hoping they continue to improve upon it.

I still have installers and other people who know what they're doing use PSS. SmartPSS looks nicer and it's fine for the laymen, but I'm hoping they continue to improve upon it.

I do still use PSS myself

Why is P2P connections slower? how many percentage? is the data buffer thru the manufacturer server? or does it just connect the two computers together?

Also do all ip cameras in the world each have unique ip address? If not.. what would happen if there are 2 ip cams with the same ip address and port.. then you can log in any ip cam?

Also for P2P ip cam (I have one).. it seems they don't have unique ip addresses.. so what differentiates a P2P ip cam from a port forwarding ip cam is the latter each have unique ip address?

Thanks. Not much info in the net about p2p connections in ip cams and drv/nvrs.

Why is P2P connections slower? how many percentage? is the data buffer thru the manufacturer server? or does it just connect the two computers together?

Also do all ip cameras in the world each have unique ip address? If not.. what would happen if there are 2 ip cams with the same ip address and port.. then you can log in any ip cam?

Also for P2P ip cam (I have one).. it seems they don't have unique ip addresses.. so what differentiates a P2P ip cam from a port forwarding ip cam is the latter each have unique ip address?

Connecting to the camera is slower; once you are connected it should be the same.

Connecting to the camera is slower; once you are connected it should be the same.

So even if the manufacturer psp server gets offline, my feed won't disconnect? It's like the server only task is to wait for both to be connected then it leaves the task to the nvr and computer/mobile? I'm asking this because I wonder if a 32 channel psp is slower after connection than a 32 channel port forwarded setup (only a 4 channel dahua is available in my place.. more channel coming next year and wonder whether to wait).

My source cam is connected to an lte router plugged to a cellphone sim card, the network is private dynamic ip (port forwarding can't work in telecom sim card).. so I'm guessing the manufacturer server constantly gets handshake from the remote nvr then half day later when I connected to it using psp, it directly talks to me or does it still pass thru the server after connection?

If you or others know a website that explains the whole process in detail, please let me know because after 2 hours of research, still can't find the data.

Research on how P2P works, or just try it yourself. CCTV P2P is based on the same networking concepts as file sharing programs.

Ok. Thanks.

Only the 4 channel of the following is available in my region.

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/nvr4204420842164232-p-639.html

Now for anyone who has own the dahua nvr4204-p, does it only really support 1 channel 1080p recording as the local dealer says? It has no reviews elsewhere but the 8 channel model nvr4208-p has more reviews and I read in amazon it can support 8 channel 1080p recording (yet only one channel recording in the 4 channel nvr 4204-p?)? Please confirm anyone before I buy tomorrow as once bought I can no longer return it (like the first one). Thanks.

According to Dahua, the incoming bandwidth is 200mbps, and it supports up to 5MP.

Unless they're selling an older generation, there's no reason to think it shouldn't be able to 1080p on all 4 channels.

Do you have a link to one you're looking at purchasing?

According to Dahua, the incoming bandwidth is 200mbps, and it supports up to 5MP.

Unless they're selling an older generation, there's no reason to think it shouldn't be able to 1080p on all 4 channels.

Do you have a link to one you're looking at purchasing?

They tested that new model 4 channel NVR 4204-P. It can't do more than 1080p on more than one channel, the rest 720p.

It makes sense. Think of it. 5MP using H.264 and 30fps would consume 20Mbps. 4 Channel would be 80Mbps. Why would they put 200Mbps bandwith in 4 channel with each having 50Mbps (equal to maybe 10MP). So the 200Mbps spec is only for 32 channels. But they put the 4 channel model in the same description making people think it can really do 200Mbps. Anyone who actually own an NVR 4204-P, pls. clarify.

I'm thinking whether to buy it later.. if it's worth it to get just 4 channel with 1 1080p only or wait for at least 8 channel with 2-4 1080p simultaneous record.

This is to clarify. I saw the test of the $150 Dahua "200 Mbps bandwidth" 4-channel NVR 4204-P. It can accommodate only 2 1080p or 4 720p. You can't add another 720p to two 1080p so only 2 channels can be used.

The one that can accommodate all 8 channel 1080p is the $350 NVR 4208-p8.

Just wondering, any security issues to be concerned about with this approach? eg some posts say that port forwarding ALL the ip cameras ports is a bad idea.

I finally bought this supposed dahua 200Mbbps 4 channel bandwidth 4204-P. Both Smart PSS and gDMSS plus has difficulty connecting to other camera brand but only quick to its own brand. But the NVR locally saw both them at same time. I connected via P2P to the NVR. Is Dahua doing it on purpose to make it connect erraticly with other brand camera.. anyone else encounter similar thing?

In the dahua "Add Device".. there is a Register ID option.. this doesn't require you to do port forwarding and add DNS server to be able to remote access it.. what is the generic term of this technology? How does it exactly work? Is the serial number like some kind of DNS stored in the manufacturer servers? Many newer NVR/DVR hasvethis capability..

The register ID option is if you have a FTP cloud account. Every IP camera/NVR has a unique serial number (like the MAC address) that you can simply put in the app/CMS software with the username and password and connect without needing port forwarding or DDNS for remote access. They also all have an IP address, which is normally dynamic (so it can be changed by the NVR to match the network) for local access. To access the stream remotely by the IP address, then you are required to port forward and set up a DDNS URL (DDNS is to monitor your dynamic public IP so when it changes you dont have to keep up with the new IP address)

if the manufacturer is using a P2P server (peer to peer), that is basically for connection like DDNS... only it does not require port forwarding. If the P2P server is also set up as a file transfer server, the data stream will go to the server before going to the device/PC ... if it is only a P2P server, it will go directly from the camera/NVR to the device/PC (this is only for remote viewing)

the serial number is the best way to connect directly to an IP camera or NVR. It is basically like the MAC address of the device. It does not require port forwarding or DDNS because you are logging directly into the device, not the network. The connection will still depend on the network for stability though, because that is what carries the data.

Just wondering, any security issues to be concerned about with this approach? eg some posts say that port forwarding ALL the ip cameras ports is a bad idea.

yes, it is a bad idea... if you are going to port forward, only forward the NVR IP... for connection to the cameras use the serial number. you can also use the serial number of the NVR to connect too though.. then you dont have to port forward anything!

Is there an equivalent service for Hikvision NVR's? I'm planning to install a Hikvision DS-9616NI-ST-8TB NVR and would love to try this P2P option on the Hikvision NVR. thx, in advance, VC

Is there an equivalent service for Hikvision NVR's? I'm planning to install a Hikvision DS-9616NI-ST-8TB NVR and would love to try this P2P option on the Hikvision NVR. thx, in advance, VC

EZVIZ.