Sign in to follow this  
nmm

Monitoring narrow passages

I have a passage beside my house about 1 metre wide, where a camera would be 8 metres

from the side gate, which implies that I need at most a 10 degree angle. But do any such

cameras exist? The point is that I need only low precision, which should imply cheap (if

I can find such a thing!) and low bandwidth. But damned if I can find such a thing.

Anything is possible, can you please upload a picture of the area you are trying to cover and also all the areas around it as in walls, roofs etc., and where you might think would be a great spot for mounting it. If we can get a visual look of the whole area than you will have solution from the greatest CCTV minds here.

I could post a picture, but it isn't needed. The side of my house is 10 metres long and 5 metres

high, and there is a fence 2 metres high 1 metre away from it, with a side gate at the street

end. I can mount a camera anywhere on my wall, but it has to be high up, not least because

we regularly carry ladders etc. along that passage. The lighting is indirect from streetlights,

so I should need an IR camera (sorry, I should have said), and PoE would be a lot simpler.

To get it both high and at a decent angle, I need the distance

It's easy to do if I buy either a high resolution camera or a zoomable one, but most are pricey.

This would be the braces of a belt and braces approach, because anyone getting to that side

gate has to be visible from the front of the house, so I was hoping to get away with a much

cheaper camera. Now, there ARE cheapish high-resolution IR cameras around, but I have

no idea of their quality.

It's not a big deal if I can't, because the main camera should pick up approaches to that

gate, but I have been in IT too long to trust anything electronic - yes, my home desktop has

ECC and I back up nightly to a separate disk from my active file system

I am trying to find out if it can be done cheaply (say, under 250). There are plenty of cameras

that will do the job, but the question is whether I can get a relatively cheap, trustworthy camera

to first use to check out the software and then use in this position. If I can't, I will buy an

expensive one only if I feel that this is a significant loophole.

My intent for the main camera is a solid, industrial-strength one like the Axis P1427-LE.

Double the price of the cheapest effective one and a LOT more than double the capability.

IF you buy ready made cameras typically the varifocal lens will take you to 12 mm, however you can choose your own lens id you assemble a body camera with its own heated housing. From what you say it would be a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut so I wouls opt for the 2.8 ~ 12mm ready made ir cameras. Cost is relatively cheap when compared to the first option.