Numb-nuts

Shedding a little "light" on things

I have just finished reinstalling and upgrading a CCTV system in a local restaurant, It tok about 5 days and for at least 2 of those days I was crawling around the ceiling space above the restaurant area. The space was so limited in height that to get to anywhere I had too crawl in elbows and knees in some places had to crawl on stomach to gain access. On top of everything else there was no light whatever other than my head torch with 15 L.E.D.s in it. Distances to crawl to were up to 25m which I suppose isn't too bad but it was uncomfortable especially as I once became trapped in a crawl-space and had to be rescued by fire brigade.

(less said about that the better)

Today we received out latest tool additions (a monthly occurrence) and I received a rechargeable LED floodlight with 108 LEDs and no trailing wires. "Just what the doctor ordered" I thought.

Frankly I would have appreciated this last week, so it's typical that we get these things a week after we need them, okay it'll be available to me next time. The picture shows the one we got, a Kobe branded, it has a Li ion battery which at full charge should last 3.5 hours. It's also very light which surprised me. The downside is obviously that it takes 5 hrs to charge, but who wants to spend more than 3.5 hrs in a dark space anyway. The unit comes with a vehicle cigar lighter charger too, which I thought was pretty nifty and charges within an hour using that, while the engine is running.

I thought this might be of interest to anyone facing working in dark spaces lofts under-floors, service cabinets etc.

These are available in many places under many brand names and are now widely available under many brand names and from many tool suppliers and wholesalers. Our ones are from Cromwell tools but these are also available in many electrical wholesalers such as CEF, SND and others.

261367_2.jpg261367_1.jpg

nice one numb nuts- I too have had a few mishaps- coming down a loft ladder and just behind the ladder the floor stepped down a level- which I forgot and came down full force with my wee pinky toe- turned out it was broke- but only found this out after gong to A & E 6 hrs later once the job was finished- that's dedication.

Enjoy your xmas season.

sorry to laugh but I have had similar mishaps but I've been lucky not to suffer broken bones

Hope your little piggy is recovered now. It's the smallest injuries that hurt the most sometimes, splinters, fiberglass irritations etc.

Not my only mishap ever I assure you. One potentially deadly one that springs to mind we worked at a place surrounded by double yellows and the only place to park was a narrow raised area adjacent to the building. I parked it very close to the edge as we needed access to the side loading door on the nearside, When I got out the ground was about a foot lower than the surface we'd parked on.

Just imagine if this had been and further or lower I might have disappeared out of sight and without a parachute.

Also I am always parking up only to find I parked adjacent to a huge puddle!!!!!!!! (Whats that you say?) No chance, I moved the van...

And one christmas I was given a double tool belt, loaded it up fully and climbed a ladder only to have the tool belt dislodge my trousers to my ankles and my apprentice couldn't stop laughing long enough to rescue me, (pull em up for me) needless to say the toolbelt was consigned to the garage ever since. You were right mum, always wear clean underpants!

We try to learn from our mistakes but inevitably we don't