bbinview

How to stop installer from viewing our cameras remotely?

The installer set up a program so all our cameras can be viewed online.

He has access to all our cameras. I even tried to delete the admin account

but he still has access! This is a total violation of our privacy.

He is a single guy, a little strange and I want to make sure he can't access our cameras

but not sure how. He gave us an ip address, a program and he set up several accounts.

When we couldn't get in from his office he changed everything and then told us he did.

What can we do?

Thanks for the info! He has set up 3 admin accounts, all have access to all cameras and playback.

HE has the passwords for the admin accounts. I guess the only alternative is to get them from him?

I set up my own admin but couldn't erase his without passwords.

Creepy huh? Or do all installers allow themselves such access?

Then talk to him. I don't find it so creepy, but it would be if he wants to keep access to the device.

We always change the default admin password, and give it to the customer. On the documentation we give it we advise them to change it to something else; and also warn them that if they do lose admin access to the device, it will be their fault, and they will be charged for access recovery.

But any unit we install, it is the customers unit. He can do with it as he pleases, and we do not connect to the units after installations unless the customer asks us to do it for whatever reason.

I spoke to him and he was offended, then mad, then said he had the right to have access and I couldn't take that away.

He accused me of being irrational ("crazy"). Then he calmed down but said he didn't have the passwords. I said these

accounts had to be removed, so he said he'd look for them.

I asked him to delete 3 accounts.

1) There was an "888888" admin account. He said this is a 'super account' that only the mfg has the password.

Then he admitted he had access too but needs it if something goes wrong. I complained that he had

it set to have camera and playback permissions and this was not acceptable. He maintains he cannot remove this.

I read there is a complicated algorithm like the date times the 8888 for the password. Nothing worked so far. I think

this is the one he also said can only be changed by going to the DVR, plugging in a mouse, keyboard and monitor and

changing the password there.

2) There was also a "default' account that he said did not have a password and has no camera access.

3) There was finally another "admin 888" account and I think I managed to change that password.

I still believe he has access to my cameras.

I spoke to him and he was offended, then mad, then said he had the right to have access and I couldn't take that away.

He accused me of being irrational ("crazy"). Then he calmed down but said he didn't have the passwords. I said these

1) There was an "888888" admin account. He said this is a 'super account' that only the mfg has the password.

Then he admitted he had access too but needs it if something goes wrong. I complained that he had

it set to have camera and playback permissions and this was not acceptable. He maintains he cannot remove this.

I read there is a complicated algorithm like the date times the 8888 for the password. Nothing worked so far. I think

this is the one he also said can only be changed by going to the DVR, plugging in a mouse, keyboard and monitor and

2) There was also a "default' account that he said did not have a password and has no camera access.

3) There was finally another "admin 888" account and I think I managed to change that password.

If you dont trust your installer disconnect the NVR from the internet until you find someone you trust.

He does not need access in case something is wrong..IF there is ever an issue, you can change the password back for him.

You cannot delete some accounts, but just change the password...if he doesnt have it, then have him reset it, reconfigure everything, then you set your own password.

Change your IP address. You can have someone you trust set the port forwarding back up. Or change the port in the DVR/NVR then in your modem/router. It should not be set to port 80

Those are accounts for a Dahua unit.

"888888" account can only be used locally. That is, pluging in a mouse and monitor on the DVR/NVR. It can not be used remotely, so even if he knows the password (by default it is 888888) he could not use it unless he is phisically on the same place as the recorder. This account can not be deleted.

"default" account does nothing. It comes out on the web interface, but it is just a system account. Do not worry about that. I do not know if it can be deleted, I have never tried.

Then there are two more accounts that come by default on Dahua units. "admin/admin" and "666666/666666".

"666666" account is a visitor account, it can see and playback cameras, but it can not touch the configuration.

"admin" account is the one you should have the password to, and change it if you feel like it.

He is a single guy, a little strange and I want to make sure he can't access our cameras

but not sure how. He gave us an ip address, a program and he set up several accounts.

When we couldn't get in from his office he changed everything and then told us he did.

What can we do?

Howdy,

Before you throw to many accusations around. Read over your owners manual. Have some knowledge about the product you own. There are some factory default accounts. They have a reason for being there. If you feel you are being violated, unplug the unit from the internet, and find someone to assist you. Read up here, read your manual, and come back and ask your questions here. I am sure someone can answer here.

I don't believe that the 888888 and 666666 and admin accounts can be deleted but you should be able to change their passwords. What do you mean by 'viewing online'? If you simply mean viewing from a browser within the confines of your home network - then simply do not FORWARD any of the ports in your router. If you have any account access which is admin then you can easily check to see what (if any) additional accounts may have been added. These can be removed if it concerns you. I always make sure that I have a backup admin account just in case... As was said earlier if you don't trust this guy then by all means get another installer who you DO trust and have him check things out!

I don't believe that the 888888 and 666666 and admin accounts can be deleted but you should be able to change their passwords. What do you mean by 'viewing online'? If you simply mean viewing from a browser within the confines of your home network - then simply do not FORWARD any of the ports in your router. If you have any account access which is admin then you can easily check to see what (if any) additional accounts may have been added. These can be removed if it concerns you. I always make sure that I have a backup admin account just in case... As was said earlier if you don't trust this guy then by all means get another installer who you DO trust and have him check things out!

666666 account can be deleted, I do so almost on almost every Dahua unit we install. I never tried deleting 888888 and admin, but I do change the passwords.

How can I change the password on the 888888 account? I tried 888888 and that didn't work.

I would like to do some of the suggestions, like not forwarding ports in my router, changing the

URL location, changing my ip address (which is static and charter cable won't help me change it) but I am not advanced enough to do those things.

I really appreciate all the great feedback.

Change the port in the NVR. If you need help post your model number. If you want help with port forwarding in your router post the model of that. We can help you.

To change a password you need the old password, hence if he has changed it from default he needs to give it to you and you can change at will. Or read up the manual and reset to factory settings then create your own password. Also as suggested change the ports used for web, client, and mobile client if it has different ports for each.

If you have a static IP address from your ISP I dont think you can change it. But are you sure you have a static IP address?

On second thought, if he is accessing via p2p then you cant do anything, the dvr forwards its details like port and user and pass so that the user easily logs in using the same p2p client and the p2p serial number/code. Only way is to get another dvr or if it has the option to deactivate its p2p server then deactivate it.

On second thought, if he is accessing via p2p then you cant do anything, the dvr forwards its details like port and user and pass so that the user easily logs in using the same p2p client and the p2p serial number/code. Only way is to get another dvr or if it has the option to deactivate its p2p server then deactivate it.

he can change the password and p2p is not gonna work on the installer's phone

I stand corrected and tried it yesterday and I confirm, changing password will disable his access.

Its the port changing that wont disable his access…

look, all this information about changing this and that. there is an admin account, a 888888 account, and a default account that gives administration privileges to the DVR. Yes you can change the passwords for all three, or better yet, just delete the accounts and leave the admin account and change that password.

Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send you something else you can use to restrict his access.

Changing the port will not work... you need to delete all the user accounts, keep the admin account and change the password. Port information is not what is used for access, it is the user account and password that is used. Simply change the password

Thanks for the info! He has set up 3 admin accounts, all have access to all cameras and playback.

HE has the passwords for the admin accounts. I guess the only alternative is to get them from him?

To imagine that a CCTV installer has nothing better to occupy his time than to spy on a client's activities, is ridiculous,

Most installers retain the admin account to benefit and protect their clients from disaster.

However any engineer should return control to you on request so that MIGHT be cause for concern.

Change your IP address to a dynamic as has been suggested and get a DDNS account of your own then NOBODY can checkup on your IP address and view your CCTV remotely Buy a new DVR and get a trustworthy installer to set up a DDNS account for you. Some brands come with a FREE DDNS service one such manufacturer is Hikvision

Good luck, don't have nightmares.........

To imagine that a CCTV installer has nothing better to occupy his time than to spy on a client's activities, is ridiculous,

Most installers retain the admin account to benefit and protect their clients from disaster.

However any engineer should return control to you on request so that MIGHT be cause for concern.

Change your IP address to a dynamic as has been suggested and get a DDNS account of your own then NOBODY can checkup on your IP address and view your CCTV remotely Buy a new DVR and get a trustworthy installer to set up a DDNS account for you. Some brands come with a FREE DDNS service one such manufacturer is Hikvision

Good luck, don't have nightmares.........

Go to No-ip.com and you can easily get a free DDNS... you do have to log in once a month to keep it active, but its totally free. If you know who the manufacturer of the DVR is, you should try calling tech support and ask them how to reset the password.. some are as easy as pushing an arrow on the front panel up 10x's! (or,a factory reset works on some). You definitely need to report this guy though, thats no better than looking through peoples windows! If hes doing it to you I'm sure hes doing that to everyone and that is definitely criminal.

Good luck

What can we do?

change passwards of user admin supervisory etc.....