Sign in to follow this  
xavier4or

Home Networking - Newbie Questions

Hi All. Some newbie home networking questions...

Everything is working great at home - and I don't expect to see any noticeable performance changes - but I always try to eek out the last bit of performance and hook up everything correctly.

Attached is a simplified home network map and some questions:

Q1: Should I run Cable Modem directly to Switch first?

Q2: For best computer performance, should I hook directly up to Wireless AP or Gigabit Switch?

Q3: Should I connect both POE switches directly to Wireless AP? (Vs daisy chain)

Q4: Where should I connect the PC NVR (Wireless AP or Switch)?

Q5: My PC NVR has 2 gigabit ethernet ports – should I connect each one to a separate switch?

Thank you for any help!

Network_Map.thumb.JPG.ac2a23686e33e6be93e3486041eeb423.JPG

+

In that environment with everything being gigabit and so few cameras you can set it any which way without noticing a huge performance difference. But if you are trying to get the most out of it:

A-Q1: Cable Modem --> Router/AP =====>Switch1 & Switch 2

Both switches should plug directly into the gigabit AP/router if distance will allow it.

A-Q2: Depends on what you are doing with the workstation. If it is primarily a client to view video - connect to PoE switch. If it is a normal workstation, plug into AP/router

A-Q3: Yes, if possible. If it is a long distance you can daisy chain them. With this few cameras and being Gigabit you won't notice any real difference.

A-Q4: The NVR should definitely be connected to the PoE switch that has the cameras on it..

A-Q5: No.

Thanks Kehvyn!

Regarding Q5: Any particular reason why I shouldn't plug both POEs switches to the PCNVR ethernet boths?

Would it cause some IP conflict? I realize I won't see any real performance / speed performance.