Sign in to follow this  
walliams

Networking assistance for DDNS please

I am currently trying to set up DDNS on an alien hero DVR.

I have just changed my supplier from virgin to Sky and therefore do not want to pay the 11 quid sky want for a fixed IP address. However, if required i will. Although i have never used the DDNS before, port forwarding etc isnt a problem for me , but i just cant seem to figure the DDNS out.

I have just upgraded all the firmware on the DVR so its now up to date.

http://aliendvr.com/support/quicktips/pdfs/296.pdf This is the PDF i've been using to follow in hope it will work. Unfortunately it doesn't.

For the preferred DNS and gateway it says to use the routers internal IP - i have used 192.168.0.1

I have set up the email and it sent me a password and a web address for the dvr which was - DSV*****.ippostcode.com .

When i put the password into the dvr it said connection was successful. However when i try to log onto it remotely it doesn't work. If i try the address locally on the network it takes me straight to my sky hubs login page. If i try it from outside the network nothing loads.

Am i missing something really simple here ? Any help would be greatly appreciated as alien tech support not open till monday !

Cheers

Are you using port 80 for the web interface, and you forwarded it on the router?

Try using a different port (change the web port on the DVR, and forward the external port on the router to your DVRs IP address).

Thanks.

I have forwarded Port 80 to the address of the DVR. It is working now locally on the network .

I still cant get it to work on the app.... The app comes preset at port 8000 ... i have tried forwarding that to the dvr aswell as trying port 80 (not sure if they are actually the same port) but just keeps coming up connection failed !

ok i've finally got it working with a re-download of the app and re-entry of details. App is working ok, connecting, can play back perfectly.. however i now can't stream live pictures !!!!

Check your DVR network settings. Check what ports it is using, and forward all needed ports.

From what I see this is a rebranded Hikvision unit. So by default it uses 3 ports, 80 for web, 8000 for data, and 554 for RTSP. If you do not forward RTSP port, you won't have video streaming.

Didn't even give that a thought.

It's finally working and i won't have to fork out the £11 a month.

Thanks for the help mate, much appreciated !