adioking

Rural IP Cam Viewer Setup?? No Static IP in Middle of Desert

I'm trying to get my GeoVision camera system to IP Cam View on my iPhone for remote viewing. However, there is a problem with respect to the ability to do this - our business is in the middle of the desert!

We have a store in northern Arizona, about 30 miles south of the Nevada border. The only companies that we could find to provide Internet services to us are:

1) HughesNet

2) Frontier

I called HughesNet, and they said they "used to provide static ip addresses for a fee," but don't anymore. As far as Frontier is concerned, they can do it, but installation of whatever is required in order to do so was quoted to us at over $50,000!

All I want to do is be able to patch into my GeoVision system from my iPhone. Perhaps I'm missing a method of doing this? My understanding is that I need a static IP to patch into, is there any other way??

Thanks for the help!

Dan

You don't need static IP; google about "DDNS" or "dynamic DNS".

If you do have an internet connection at least "decent", you should be able to see your cameras remotely.

You'll also need a Hughesnet modem that allows port forwarding. I had a customer awhile back who's Hughesnet modem did not support port forwarding.

You'll also need a Hughesnet modem that allows port forwarding. I had a customer awhile back who's Hughesnet modem did not support port forwarding.

I just had a problem with this today. Our customer was required to get a commercial grade setup as opposed to residential for that exact reason.

I don't get a lot of Hughesnet customers and I'm not real familiar with the ISP, but I've had this happen on a couple of occasions. To me, it always sounded like an excuse to get more money.

It's just not video ports, some rural ISP's also block VoIP ports too.

Use tools like http://canyouseeme.org/ to see whats open or closed.

You can also use this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers for an understanding of witch ports are used.

In some cases (non proprietary) using a PC as an gateway to spoof blocked ports works. If you're lucky, some boxes, using an edit tool, reassign what ports it listens on.

Separate from above,

Gets even more complicated if trying to view from an iphone. An understanding of UNIX helps. READ THIS http://content.hccfl.edu/pollock/AUnix1/FilePermissions.htm First Jailbreak it, than log into ROOT

In order to access ROOT directory to reassign ports you'll need a jailbroke phone.