JamesG60

Help with 2 QVIS DVR on same network

Hi, I'm new here. I've delt with multiple enterprise/server driven networks before but never with CCTV or server 2011 so I hope someone here can help with an issue I'm experiencing. It's also been a few years since I've delt with networks in general due to a career change so I may be a bit rusty.

Anyway, on to the problem at hand...

I'm trying ot sort out my mates CCTV at one of his yards. This system is comprised of the following:

24 cameras (most fixed, some on a tour)

2 QVIS 16 channel DVRs

Windows Small Business Server 2011

NetGear 16 port switch

DrayTek 2830 Wireless router/ADSL Modem

3 Workstations

A handfull of iOS devices

DVR 1 has the following network settings:

IP Address: 192.168.1.101

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.254

TCP Port: 9221

UDP Port: 37778

HTTP Port: 80

RTSP Port: 554

Max Connections: 20

Prefered DNS 8.8.8.8

Alternative DNS 8.8.4.4

DHCP Disabled

Transfer Mode Disabled

LAN Download Disabled

IP Filter Disabled

NTPServer:1440 Disabled

DDNS Disabled

DVR 2 has the following network settings:

IP Address: 192.168.1.102

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.254

TCP Port: 9222

UDP Port: 37778

HTTP Port: 80

RTSP Port: 554

Max Connections: 20

Prefered DNS 8.8.8.8

Alternative DNS 8.8.4.4

DHCP Disabled

Transfer Mode Disabled

LAN Download Disabled

IP Filter Disabled

NTPServer:1440 Disabled

DDNS Disabled

In the DrayTek Router preferences under NAT>Open Ports I have the following

DVR 1

TCP

Incoming Port: 9221

Outgoing Port: 9221

Internal IP: 192.168.1.101

External IP: Can't remember but ends with .235

DVR 2

TCP

Incoming Port: 9222

Outgoing Port: 9222

Internal IP: 192.168.1.102

External IP: Can't remember but ends with .235

Both DVRs are on WAN1 (only one active)

I can view both systems over LAN perfectly but can only view DVR 1 via WAN.

I can't find anything related to DVR1, either ip or port, in Windows Firewall, DNS, DHCP on the server that would be allowing 1 to work and not 2.

I have set up a 3rd DVR (DVR3) on a 1m ethernet next to the switch and manually copied across the settings from DVR2. I then unplugged DVR2 from the switch and replaced it with DVR3. This is also not viewable over WAN.

This leads me to believe it is a port forwarding issue rather than signal loss/noise (rather long cat5 run). This is supported by the fact that DVR2/3 are viewable over LAN.

Is there anything I'm missing or anything anyone can think of that would be getting in the way of port 9222?

Thanks

James

any firewalls maybe blocking traffic ?

try running an open port checker to see if the 9222 and 37778 ports are open.

try swapping the port settings around for dvr1 and 2 and see if 9221 is reached on the other DVR.

Last suggestion run wireshark and see if you can capture and analyse where its going wrong.

If you have 2 DVRs on a single network range, before port forwarding the Draytek you should reserve the IP address of BOTH DVRs

I also notice you have the same RTSP port on both devices. One port serves one device only. It's like two fat ladies trying to get through the same doorway only onewill succeed

try swapping the port settings around for dvr1 and 2 and see if 9221 is reached on the other DVR.
I'd try this first and see what your results are. If only one works, it's definitely a routing issue.
If you have 2 DVRs on a single network range, before port forwarding the Draytek you should reserve the IP address of BOTH DVRs

I also notice you have the same RTSP port on both devices. One port serves one device only. It's like two fat ladies trying to get through the same doorway only onewill succeed

This is going to be important too. You'll need to change the ports on at least one of them. In fact, now that I'm looking at it, looks like you have the same udp port for both. Try changing that as well.