Sign in to follow this  
commando

LAN power (low)

im doing a project,

I have the super mini nvr and an OEM (foscam type) IP camera i want to connect them with a 80 meters lan cable.

No wifi solution/ no powerplug solution. only lan cable.

Both Lan sources doesn't give enough lan power (data) to achieve 80 meters lan cable.

camera and nvr power are close to electrical source (40 cm) (not a power issue)

I have try those:

ip camera -> lan cable (80 meters) -> palpotp pc. -FAILED- means lan power not enough.

ip camera -> lan cable (80 meters) -> super mini nvr. -FAILED- means lan power not enough.

ip camera -> lan cable (30cm) -> switch (9V) -> lan cable (80 meters) -> palpotp pc. -SUCCEED- means need lap power boost.

ip camera -> lan cable (80cm) -> switch (9V) -> lan cable (30 meters) -> palpotp pc. -FAILED- means camera lan power not enough.

ip camera -> lan cable (30cm) -> switch (9V) -> lan cable (80 meters) -> super mini nvr. FAILED means laptop has more power on lan than super mini nvr.

conclusion: IP camera and Super mini nvr, both has low lan power and need amplifying LAN.

solution: add a switch to IP camera and to Super mini nvr

Im looking for a better solution.

Does PoE help at this problem????

Does PoE except the power that powers on the device amplifies the lan power?

I know the system that im doing is poor but its a project. that means i know the type foscam camera is for garbage but i can give more money.

" title="Applause" />

Well, 80m for POE is a long cable. You would have trouble geting it to work even with the best Cat6, pure copper AWG23 cable. You might try a better cable, or you will need to use another switch in the middle.

Thanks for your answers guys!

the camera powered from a 220V home plug (converts to 5V)

When i say power lan i mean the power that Lan source can give

a router give (lets say) 150 meters data lan.

a switch 100 meters

a ip camera (like mine) 10 meters.

i don't know the right word to use, if any.

So, to amplify the data power (ip camera) i need to use a switch, to achieve 80 meters camera lenth.

im asking if is a better solution than use switches.

Hi. A home plug will not power your camera

You need an injected or POE OR peer at camera

LAN alone will not power your camera

The camera power is on! Because I plug it to a home plug that is next to it. Its not main power issue.

The whole thing is about LAN signal, isn't enough to travel that distance. I'm lookin to amplifing signal with one device. Otherwise I can use two switches.

Does PoE amplify the LAN communication?

The camera power is on! Because I plug it to a home plug that is next to it. Its not main power issue.

The whole thing is about LAN signal, isn't enough to travel that distance. I'm lookin to amplifing signal with one device. Otherwise I can use two switches.

Well good look ...... Just seen your other post

$20 camera is not worth the extra money on switches

Math just does not add up ...... Buying cheap then spending more to get it to work

Your problem is most likely cheap cable....make sure you are not using CCA-copper clad aluminium....