SuperMarco

Vivotek Daisy Chain cable issue?

Hello everyone, newbie here so be gentle.... Knowledge level somewhere between basic > Know a little.

Okay, so I purchased a Vivotek network PoE system and today got an email from Vivotek warning me of overheated cable issues on non-standard CAT5e & CAT6 Ethernet cables.

See here:

https://rfconcepts.co.uk/blog/vivotek-advice/

My question is how do i find out what spec my cabling is? I haven't fixed the cables yet (this was this weekends work) Is this a real issue? I mean any ideas on what extra wattage would cost me on a 3 camera x 1 DVR link up?

Or am i panicking over nothing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, just dont want to track and install only to pull out again... O er...

Hi. No you will not have a problem but your cable does have to be copper and a good make.

What vivotek and RF are warning you about is the regulations in UK regarding cat cable is by end of year must be BS standard listed cable ...... It's to sort out the junk contractors use .... Not just CCTV installers but any network installation

That vivotek system works good .... We used it about 2 months ago

If you have doubts about the cable, then cut it and look at the end, it should be all copper. If the middle is a grey metal, or if you see multiple strands and only some of them are copper then you have junk cable.

I have only seen it on dollar store grade patch cables. If you are buying cable from a reputable supplier then you should be fine.

Thank you gents. Yes I actually contacted rfconcepts.co.uk and they informed me I had the correct BS cabling, its just Vivotek were being ultra cautious, I didnt need to cut the ends off.

Just finished tracking and installing the vivotek cctv camera system (and got quite a tan) weather..... and as Tom says the vivotek system is superb!

thanks guys.