carpii

Accessing LAN cams when connected to a Hikvisio NVR

I have a Hikvision NVR, which has 6 cams attached to its PoE ports

The NVR says the cams are all on its internal interface of 192.168.254.*

The NVR also has an external LAN interface, which I've assigned an IP of 192.168.1.230 , which I can access fine, but cannot get any access to the cams on 192.168.254.*

So then I added a static route, which maps 192.168.254.* to the NVRs LAN IP of 192.168.1.230

Now I can ping 192.168.254.1 but trying to ping one of the cams on 192.168.254.2 doesn't work

(I wasn't fully expecting it to, but worth a try - I think packet forwarding is disabled on the NVR, and since its BusyBox, I cant see any way to enable it)

Any ideas what else I can try?

The only thing I can think is to unplug the cams and shove them in a switch, but since they are PoE It would mean buying a PoE switch

Just to clarify, this is not about router port forwarding. I am not trying to access the cams or the NVR externally

Thanks

The latest firmwares allow you to access the cameras on the POE ports without having to do any hacking.

Could you tell me which would be the latest?

My NVR came preinstalled with 3.2.1 (English), but I cannot find this available for download on any Hikvision site. All I could find was older firmwares

Is there some setting I should look for? I know there is some 'Enable Virtual Host' option on some HV NVR's which I believe is what I need, but mine doesn't seem to support it.

That is what you are looking for, enable virtual host.

I know, but I cannot find anywhere to enable this in my NVR

I think the latest right now is v3.3.1.

Do you have a download link for this please?

Thankyou!

It turns out 3.2.1 does support Virtual Host after all...

Its hidden in the 'Other' menu, along with various Alarm options, so I didn't see it.

273698_1.jpg

After enabling Virtual Host, it appeared to do nothing at first

But then a short while later, the Cam page now exposes each cam on a different port.

A big improvement

273698_2.jpg