Sign in to follow this  
noobcctv

Question about minimum specs for NVR machine

Hi All, I've recently purchased three ZModo wireless IP cameras for my mother (model ZP-IBH13-W). These seem to work pretty well on an initial test. My intention is to build a dedicated machine for the NVR, using iSpy software.

The question is: what are the minimum specs for such a machine? I've got a bunch of old motherboards and CPUs floating around, and more than enough HDDs. Would a machine of an age to still be using DDR2 be fast enough to run as an NVR?

Thanks, hope this is the right place to ask this!

Hi All, I've recently purchased three ZModo wireless IP cameras for my mother (model ZP-IBH13-W). These seem to work pretty well on an initial test. My intention is to build a dedicated machine for the NVR, using iSpy software.

The question is: what are the minimum specs for such a machine? I've got a bunch of old motherboards and CPUs floating around, and more than enough HDDs. Would a machine of an age to still be using DDR2 be fast enough to run as an NVR?

You should not need tons of power as they are 720p cameras...but consider power consumption as the pc will be on 24/7...running an old quad core will be more expensive than buying a haswell i5 off the dell outlet.. for 300 or so..

Also not that ISPY is not free..they charge for remote access and alerts...http://www.ispyconnect.com/pricing.aspx

You should not need tons of power as they are 720p cameras...but consider power consumption as the pc will be on 24/7...running an old quad core will be more expensive than buying a haswell i5 off the dell outlet.. for 300 or so..

Also not that ISPY is not free..they charge for remote access and alerts...http://www.ispyconnect.com/pricing.aspx

Thanks for the reply. These cameras are theoretically capable of sending email alerts, still working on getting that working. But just in case...is there a better free alternative to iSpy?

As regards the machine, I'll probably build one up to test the system and then move over to something better later on. At the moment I'm still playing around with testing and getting to know how these things work.

Thanks for the reply. These cameras are theoretically capable of sending email alerts, still working on getting that working. But just in case...is there a better free alternative to iSpy?

As regards the machine, I'll probably build one up to test the system and then move over to something better later on. At the moment I'm still playing around with testing and getting to know how these things work.

Well if you want free you are limiting yourself...

You can do better than those cameras as well..wifi will never be stable...

If you went with hikvision cameras you can use their free vms...

Axxonnext is another option..

if you dont need more than 5 days of recording go with xprotect by milestone..there is a free version with 5 day limit on recording.