Sign in to follow this  
jackhandsome

router behind router not working

I am trying to setup my routers for remote viewing of my dvr cams. I have uverse which is a 2wire modem/gateway (model 3801HGV). Since the only computer in the network is not always on to update my host I am trying to set up ddns within the router. Since the at&t gateway does not support ddns internally I set up a dlink di-624 router connected to the at&t gateway to handle the dns host updating. I used the following guide to do so:

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP. This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.

2. Plug your router's WAN interface to one of the 2Wire's LAN interfaces.

3. Restart your router, let it get an IP address via DHCP.

4. Log into the 2Wire router's interface. Go to Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ

5. Select your router under section (1).

6. Click the DMZPlus button under section (2).

7. Click the Save button.

8. Restart your router, when it gets an address via DHCP again, it will be the public outside IP address. At this point, you can leave your router in DHCP mode (make sure the firewall on your router allows the DHCP renewal packets, which will occur every 10 minutes), or you can change your router's IP address assignment on the WAN interface to static, and use the same settings it received via DHCP.

9. On the 2Wire router, go to Settings -> Firewall -> Advanced Configuration

10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.

11. Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.

12. Uncheck NetBIOS under Inbound Protocol Control.

13. Uncheck all the Attack Detection checkboxes (7 of them).

14. Click Save.

So after doing so I now have forwarded port 80, 8000, 8010 and 1050. After checking with an online port checker the only one that seems to be open is port 80. I can view the cams on the local lan but not remotely. I have the dvr hooked to the dlink router via cat5 and also have the uverse gateway hooked to the dlink router in the wan port. I am a paying customer for no-ip for handling my dns resolving. I have all of that information inputted into the dvr settings as it should be. The only thing I am not sure of is the preferred and secondary dns settings. For those I used the primary and secondary from the uverse gateway which I am not sure is correct and could be the issue. The reason I did that is because when I look at the settings in the dlink router the only one listed is the preferred which is listed as 192.168.1.254 which is the gateway for the uverse gateway. Also, the other issue that I think I have is not being able to port forward ports 8000 or 1050. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ok, so the 1st router has to point to the 2nd router, and the 2nd router points to the software/ camera.

I have done this several times, it is pretty easy. I am making up IP's here, substitute your own:

Modem >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1st Router >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2nd Router >>>>>>>> Camera/ NVR

request for port 8080 >>>> 10.1.1.75:8080 (forward to 192.168.2.79) >>>>>> 192.168.2.79:8080 >>>>> 192.168.2.89:8080