BGinFL

cable modem in garage and ethernet to router in house

I am having cable internet installed after many years of DSL, the only problem is I do not have any coax run in the house only cat5/6. I do have cat 6 run into my garage with a jack where right now I have a security camera plugged in. If I took a http://www.intellinet-network.com/en-US/products/1147-2-port-modular-distributor at each end garage/office router could I get the signal to my router from the modem and still have a port from my router connected to the camera or wifi extender in the garage? I hope I am being clear enough here.

I would like to just run coax to a wall plate in the office but it's in a difficult location and multiple attic crawl spaced to deal with.

Thanks

I would not trust one of those splitters even a little bit, they do not appear to be powered and you would be . You would be much better served with a proper switch on each end with a single cable between them. The switch will handle traffic better, you could get a POE switch for true flexibility, plus it gives you expansion options or other uses.

That splitter operates by only using two pair (out of the four pair in each cable) for each connection...that is why its rated at 10/100....its not a big deal if your internet speeds are under 100, but can cause issues with crosstalk.

If you really dont want to run new cable, place the router in the garage and a switch on the other end. IF you need the router inside for wifi signal strength consider a cheap router in the garage and setup your old router as an access point.