Sign in to follow this  
fabio1605

PIR Setup

Hi Guys

i am trying to make a PIR external alert system with a raspberry pi, am i using the right tools....

In a nutshell, i have a 8 Camera Set up already, happily accessible via my phone but the motion detection is crap (Pixel based)

I wanted to set up a few external PIR's in to a raspberry pi to trigger an alert to my phone, now i can do the programing side of it, but the PIR's i am struggling to find!! they are so expensive!

i can get a 230V PIR for 5 quid! its getting hold of a 12v external PIR for good value that is difficult,but would also need to have "dry contacts" if i am not wrong, the PIR's used internally are probably what i am after but i cant find one for external use.

i would also preferably link it to a DVR but i know a DVR wont be able to send push notifications to my phone so i might have to do it through a raspberry pi.

Anyway i was just seeking out if anyone has done anything simmilar before, if there is already a system out there that is simmilar...

Or if you can give me an alternative method

Have played with Motion Pi (https://github.com/ccrisan/motionPie/wiki) and worked really well with the PiCam IIRC (that cam sucks unless in well lit location) I believe that it has the ability play with IP Cams. Sorry it has been a while since I mucked around with it.

However the PI platform is tremendously useful to integrate to systems to do many surveillance type tasks. The possibilities are pretty much endless if you are prepared to to some code bashing. My main use of Pi in the IPTV world is to run cron jobs to take multiple backups of my NAS stored footage/images. They are cheap as chips and can be hidden anywhere and DIY UPS is a piece of cake.

i can get a 230V PIR for 5 quid! its getting hold of a 12v external PIR for good value that is difficult,but would also need to have "dry contacts" if i am not wrong, the PIR's used internally are probably what i am after but i cant find one for external use.

i would also preferably link it to a DVR but i know a DVR wont be able to send push notifications to my phone so i might have to do it through a raspberry pi.

Anyway i was just seeking out if anyone has done anything simmilar before, if there is already a system out there that is simmilar...

Or if you can give me an alternative method

'Volt free' contacts is what you are looking for. There's plenty around.

I understand your dilemma with the DVR and outgoing communications but as is being suggested, let the DVR do the work by connecting the PIR directly to an alarm input. Then you should use an alarm output to trigger the Pi into sending messages to your phone in whichever way you see fit. If you want the PI to send an image, then use a video out from the appropriate channel into the Pi or even your spot output if you're not using it on a monitor.

I started developing a Pi based system for DVRs that don't have mobile phone app and only have ActiveX web interface which is very similar in respect to your needs.

Ian