bentech

DVR with NVRs same network , possible ?

Hi ,

Had a 32 channels Analog DVR Hikvision already installed.

I need to add 2 NVRs Hikvision for IP cams.

I have a 4 ports switch to connect the DVR + the 2 NVRs so the Cams traffic will be on this switch (local)

I would need to put this switch on the main network.

How and is it the right thing to do ?

Thanks !

Sure, you can add a second DVR/NVR to your network, no problem. You can have a whole bunch of them if you wanted to (though it gets rather inconvenient).

Existing DVR can stay installed and you'd access it the same way you always have.

Then you add a new NVR with it's cams.

The new NVR would have a different IP address on your network and you'd access it independently in a browser or smartphone app, etc.

The NVR would simply plug into your network at any point...on the router itself, on a switch that's connected to the router, etc.

-----

If you did have 2 or more DVR/NVR's going on, there is software that lets you combine your view so you wouldn't have to log in twice to see your cameras.

But on the other hand, after you get those Hik's up and running, you'll like the high-def resolution so much, you'll likely phase out your analog and go all IP at some point anyway.

Thanks for your reply !

Right now , I have only the 32 CAMS analog DVR connected to the network.

Should I connect the 2 NVRs & DVR to a switch and connect that switch to the router ?

Is it better to have all the NVRs & DVR to a separate switch or connect everything to the main router ?

Thanks again !!!

You can put the NVR/DVR's on any combination of switches you like. It doesn't make too much difference until you have a whole lot of network devices (which could be any device...IP camera, TV that plays Netflix, PC playing World of Warcraft, XBox with the new Halo 5**, etc.). Your concern for performance is due to the capability of the network.

If your network is "Fast Ethernet" or 100Mbps:

Each high-def IP camera can push 4-6Mbps for it's communication to the NVR. Your NVR's connection to you will likely be around 3-6Mbps. Your 32ch DVR is likely doing the same (or less) on it's network connection to you.

So while it's doable to load up a 100Mbps network, it takes a little doing to fill that bandwidth.

On the other hand, if you're running a gigabit network (which I highly recommend anyway), then you're not capping out your network capacity anytime soon. And your switches would be more for wiring convenience/efficiency.

** Nah, I'm not on the Halo kick. A friend is though, he's already scheduled Oct. 27th to be off work so he can just stay at home and play Halo 5 all day.

Hi All ,

The 2 NVRs & DVR are installed.

I attached a PIC of what it looks like.

I need some help for the gateway , etc...

First , is it OK the way it is right now ?

What gateway I put for the settings of the CAMS ? (It's 192.168.1.1 by default)

What about the NVRs & DVR ? What other other things I need to do to configure this correctly ?

Should I remove the GIGA switch and connect the NVRs & DVR directly to the router ?

Thanks !

76231306_ipcamnetwork.thumb.png.2cbcd1ae0f9fe3c97dd5f79ed1b6d72c.png