bentech

2 routers DLINK on same network , possible ?

Hi ,

Is it possible to have 2 routers on the same network ?

They will be in 2 different areas.

Let's says one on 192.168.0.1 and the other one on 192.168.0.2 ?

Setting DHCP to dispatch IP from 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.100 on one router and from 192.168.0.101 to 192.168.0.200 on the other one.

If possible , what do I put as the gateway ?

Thanks for you help !

network.jpg.612f4c48d030489ffa943b0eb57fd16d.jpg

Yes that is possible to have two routers like your diagram however, your IP ranges will not work. I could spend hours describing IP subnetting but I'll keep it short. On the both sides you will need to have a /25. This will result in the left side having 0 - 127 and the right side having 128 - 255. Your subnet mask will be 255.255.255.128. The router on the right side (private) will be 192.168.0.1 (if you like) and the router on the left side (private) will be 192.168.0.129. The IP's on the cross-over cable cannot be in the same subnet. They will need to be something different like: left (public) will be 192.168.254.201 and the right (public) will be 192.168.254.202, both will have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.252.

Your real problem will be the fact that most dlinks use NATing without the option to turn it off. This can be a real problem. The only way to compensate for that will be to use port forwarding on each router and that can be quite involved.

In the event that you can turn it off. On most SOHO routers the user has the ability to set static routing on the router. You will need to set a static route on each router for the other routers private subnet with the gateway or next hop being the public IP of that router.

I would recommend replacing the two routers with switches and using one solid subnet. That would solve all of your problems and not create any new ones.

Yeah, he is right, LAN/WAN communication is restricted/filtered on home routers.

Other way to use "home routers" is:

- disable DHCP on one on them (as only one can and should provide addresses)

- use SAME network and connect them by one of their LAN ports (so LAN to LAN not LAN to WAN or WAN to WAN ports).

You will have one port less on each on them, but there will be no problem with port forwarding. Similar configuration I have at this moment at home, but I use different type of routers (Netgear and Huawei)