an7h0ny

can a router split an ip camera signal to two nvr's?

hello,

First apoligies if i posted this question in the wrong section, my question is to do with router.

i want to split the camera feed from one camera to two nvr's i was planning on using a Hikvision DS-7108N-SN/P nvr that has the port switches built in as the main recording unit. another 4 channel nvr DS-7104n will receive the second signal without recording it so that it can be viewed independently on another monitor. I dont fully understand how ip cameras work but my theory was to buy a standard 4 port router, plug the camera feed into the line in on the router, and the line outs can go to the nvr's? would that work? if so does the router have enough power on its own that i dont need an injector thrown in there? the cameras are also hikvision they have the cat5 plug and the power plug seperate. i would be using a poe splitter but does the line in on the router provide power to do that?

lastly if someone has a better way to do what i want to do please share your thoughts any help would be appreciated. thank you

hello,

First apoligies if i posted this question in the wrong section, my question is to do with router.

i want to split the camera feed from one camera to two nvr's i was planning on using a Hikvision DS-7108N-SN/P nvr that has the port switches built in as the main recording unit. another 4 channel nvr DS-7104n will receive the second signal without recording it so that it can be viewed independently on another monitor. I dont fully understand how ip cameras work but my theory was to buy a standard 4 port router, plug the camera feed into the line in on the router, and the line outs can go to the nvr's? would that work? if so does the router have enough power on its own that i dont need an injector thrown in there? the cameras are also hikvision they have the cat5 plug and the power plug seperate. i would be using a poe splitter but does the line in on the router provide power to do that?

lastly if someone has a better way to do what i want to do please share your thoughts any help would be appreciated. thank you

Providing the NVR's are in the same address range as the Camera it'll work fine, most halfway decent IP cams can multi stream. You don't need another NVR to view the image either

one of these

http://www.icrealtime.co.uk/ic-stream.php

will do the trick.

I forgot to mention, the cameras will not be connected through to the existing network. They will have a closed connnection directly to the nvr. So no streaming via the network bandwith. I'm guess it's address will be 10.1.10.1 or something like that. The router is for networks and uses the 192.168.100.1 address. Will that be a problem, I'm afraid the nvrs won't see the camera because it will be broadcasted by the router with a different style of address. I have not committed to buying anything yet until I understand what I need to make it work this way, the nvr have separate port to connect to Ethernet. Mine will never be connected to it.

I forgot to mention, the cameras will not be connected through to the existing network. They will have a closed connnection directly to the nvr. So no streaming via the network bandwith. I'm guess it's address will be 10.1.10.1 or something like that. The router is for networks and uses the 192.168.100.1 address. Will that be a problem, I'm afraid the nvrs won't see the camera because it will be broadcasted by the router with a different style of address. I have not committed to buying anything yet until I understand what I need to make it work this way, the nvr have separate port to connect to Ethernet. Mine will never be connected to it.

So you will be using a POE NVR and the cameras will be plugged into that?

I am fairly certain this is what Multicast is made to do, but I have very little experience with making it work.

In what way have you had problems, normally if the viewing devices are in the same address range and are compatible protocol wise there should be no problems, ONVIF normally gives you a get out of jail free card when using NVR's of different manufactures although maybe some of the features like motion detection may not be available.

Flossyrockstar - that's right poe nvr, although this camera in question might need its own power since the router is in between it I don't know if power will get to it.

A switch would do. You don't need a router. However you'll have to set both the NVR's internal ip different, and probably disable the dhcp function on one of them since you'll be connecting 2 dhcp server together and you don't want weird ip assignment happening.

If you have free port on the NVR, you could also use a cross network cable to link one of the free port on both NVR together. It'll also bridge the network.

I would suggest using a 4 wire cross network cable to prevent both the NVR's POE (if it's a POE NVR) from shorting each other out.

Some of the NVR allows internal port forwarding. So u could also port forward the specific camera from NVR 1, and configure NVR 2 to use the stream from the WAN port from the NVR as well.

It's IP network, there are tons of different methods to do, each with it's pro and cons.

daryl733- if I go the switch route- does the switch have to connected to internet service to send the cameras feed to the NVR's? does it need to be a POE switch? neither nvr will be connected to the internet, why would their internal ip address need to be changed, wouldn't each nvr just be receiving or would the camera provided the link between the nvr's? sorry for the questions I'm just learning.

so I would connect the camera to the line in on the switch (poe or non poe switch?) , then two line outs from the switch would go to each poe nvr(the nvr's I plan to use have the poe ports right on the back of the unit instead of a separate switch.) both nvr's have a ethernet port meant for internet service and viewing remotely, these will not be utilized. I'm guessing this will work without to much setup on the nvr's? I'm assuming the camera ip address wont matter because the nvrs are not looking for cameras over the ethernet because they will be plugged directly into each camera port on the back of the nvr? hopefully it is easy as I just outlined. please confim thanks

daryl733- if I go the switch route- does the switch have to connected to internet service to send the cameras feed to the NVR's? does it need to be a POE switch? neither nvr will be connected to the internet, why would their internal ip address need to be changed, wouldn't each nvr just be receiving or would the camera provided the link between the nvr's? sorry for the questions I'm just learning.

so I would connect the camera to the line in on the switch (poe or non poe switch?) , then two line outs from the switch would go to each poe nvr(the nvr's I plan to use have the poe ports right on the back of the unit instead of a separate switch.) both nvr's have a ethernet port meant for internet service and viewing remotely, these will not be utilized. I'm guessing this will work without to much setup on the nvr's? I'm assuming the camera ip address wont matter because the nvrs are not looking for cameras over the ethernet because they will be plugged directly into each camera port on the back of the nvr? hopefully it is easy as I just outlined. please confim thanks

Depends on how you power your cameras. If it's POE, then yes. If it's not, then you don't have to get POE Switch.

The switch is connected to the LAN port of both DVR. It's not connected to your router. Basically it puts both the NVR on the same network so that the IP camera can stream to both NVR.

NVR are defaulted as a DHCP server. This means IP Cameras connected to their POE Switch or their LAN network will be assigned IP automatically.

Putting a switch to bridge them to the same network means now that you have 2 DHCP server on the same network. That's highly not recommended as it'll cause confusion to the devices on which server to get IP from, etc.

Also, both NVR will be most likely set to the same default LAN IP. You'll need to manually change 1 to another IP so that there's no IP conflict.

The Camera IP matters. Because now you are connecting multiple cameras to the same LAN as your both NVR. The NVRwill detect all cameras connected to the LAN. you'll need to seperate which NVR will see which camera according to their IP.

Not so easy. You'll have to have some basic network knowledge to know how to get it set up.

Daryl733 - I have almost a full understanding of what,i need to do thanks, I'm only unsure of one connection. The switch has only one lan port can I use a rj45 spliter to put both nvrs on the same lan?

So now I have this order of hookup, correct me where needed

Poe camera connected to line 1 on switch,

Poe Switch lan port going to two nvrs lan ports regardless if nvr has camera ports.

Main nvr will be set to dhcp, second nvr disable dhcp and set it's ip to an open address.

Main nvr will assign the cameras ip, second nvr will set to see ip address of camera.

Plug in the rest of the cameras into main nvr.

I'm guessing all connections using standard wiring no crossover.

You can't use a RJ45 splitter for networking, basically they just parallel the wires from 1 to 2.

To connect 3 devices together, you'll have to use a switch/hub.

Basically you got the point. But it'll not be as easy as using it the way manufacturer envision you to use it.

An update to my situation, so I got everything installed, main nvr with 5 cameras, camera port 8 goes to second nvr with crossover wire no 4,5,7,8 pins. Second nvr set to gateway of the first nvr and I see the camera and setup is a breeze. Only problem this causes is first nvr reboots every 6 to 8 hours I've narrowed it down to the second nvr because when it's not plugged in first nvr works all day without reboot. I'm gonna try using the lan port on nvr one to nvr two and see if I can get it to work reliably that way.

I was trying to avoid using lan to stream to both nvrs. But probably gonna have to do it that way to get it to Work reliably. Plus I need two more things to accomplish this a switch and an injector. Right now I'm trying a different open channel on the nvr to see if it's stable. 6 to 8 hours before I know if it worked while I wait for a restart. Hopefully it doesn't restart.

Hello Daryl733, now I need to migrate from one system to another, can I do it easy with network equipment ?

We use Milestone Xprotect Surveillance System.

I think it is Xprotect version 5.

I am new employee and I search solution for migration without security breaches.

Milestone Xprotect system is released with Microsoft Windows Server and client operating systems and Milestone Xprotect software components and SAN.

My case, my situation here is :

We need to migrate from physical environment to virtual.

Our Milestone Xprotect infratructure now is on physical machines with Microsoft Server and client operating systems where are all Milestone Xprotect components are installed, we want to migrate to one physical machine using VMWAE ESXI to optimize our infrastructure and to win energy efficient

If I create new virtualized environment is it possible to stream ip cameras to two systems on the same time? To our physical and virtual Milestone Xprotect surveillance systems?

I want to do it for tests and securly without security breaches migration from physical to virtual environment.

We here use Cisco equipment.

Thanks and regards.