Diamond Dog

Please help - ports keep closing when power goes out SOLVED

I have a VERSITON VTD-L108 You can see it here http://www.volutone.com/VERSITON-VTD-L108-1TB-8CH-DVR-8CH4IP-1TB-2MP120FPS-1U-P2P-P17112.aspx

When I set the http port through port forwarding it works until the unit power cycles (unplugged or power goes off). When it comes back online, the port keeps closing upon restart

I thought it was my router was bad and causing the trouble. So I tried 2 other brands of routers. Same Problem.

I thought Cox was closing the ports, but when I do a factory reset on the routers, I can get the previously closed ports to open again which would suggest Cox is not closing ports or they would remain closed.

There is a server (RTSP) port and this port never gets closed down. Just the http port.

Can someone please give me some insight as to why this is happening? I have tried all kinds of ports. 85, ports in the 6000 range, 5000 range.

Is there a range or specific port numbers that I should be using?

Edited by Guest

So let me get the sequence straight.

1. You had done Port forwarding manually on your router (Not using the UPNP function of the router & DVR).

2. Port fowarding is done properly and show up on your router's configuration page.

3. Everything is working fine.

4. You switch off the DVR and turn it back on.

5. The port forwarding settings vanish from your router.

6. You can no longer access your system from the internet.

You repeat that with 2 other routers of different brand/models and both also have their port forwarding settings vanish after you reboot your DVR ?

Just to double confirm. You manually configured the port forwarding settings on the router and did not rely on the DVR and Router's UPNP function to configure the port forwarding on the router.

Thanks for responding.

I configured port forwarded and selected TCP/UDP for both the RTSP port and HTTP port

The settings are correct because everything works fine

The HTTP port setting ONLY actually vanishes from the DVR if you unplug the power and reboot it. It actually still reads on the settings page, but I just found out (this weekend) if you re-enter it and save the setting, it will work. It is not remembering the setting. It DOES remember the RTSP port

When the DVR reboots and if I don't re-enter the http port setting, I can not access from internet.

I have tried this on 2 routers and I do not believe its the router

UPNP is on on my router but the port map shows that it is only tied to my computer and synology drive (none of these things are on when I have the DVR problem with my security system)

Hi. Why are you not using auto setup .

You need to go into the menu and in tick p2p. Then you can set up manual. But every time it powers down and back up its looking for the auto setup IE p2p

And your unit is a TVT tvi unit

Hi. Why are you not using auto setup .

You need to go into the menu and in tick p2p. Then you can set up manual. But every time it powers down and back up its looking for the auto setup IE p2p

And your unit is a TVT tvi unit

I looked at the TVT TVI units and they don't look anything like mine. Mine is here

http://www.versiton.com/v4/hd-over-coax/lite-hd-tvi/vtd-l108.html

UI cant seem to find a p2p setting. There is a feature where I can scan in a barcode and it will set up, but I decided to go manual.

The reason I didn't use auto setup is because it goes through their servers and then their would be bandwidth if I viewed at home through my LAN. So I wanted to set it up manually through port forwarding

When I configured port forwarding we used TCP/UDP. When I changed to just TCP it keeps the port open.

When I read up on TCP and UDP, it would seem that TCP sends a request to open the port more than once to open it while UDP only sends it once. TCP seems more robust in its requests for forwarding the port and UPD is a one shot deal.

So hopefully this helps someone

I looked at the TVT TVI units and they don't look anything like mine. Mine is here

http://www.versiton.com/v4/hd-over-coax ... -l108.html

UI cant seem to find a p2p setting. There is a feature where I can scan in a barcode and it will set up, but I decided to go manual.

The reason I didn't use auto setup is because it goes through their servers and then their would be bandwidth if I viewed at home through my LAN. So I wanted to set it up manually through port forwarding

Don't worry if you can't find UI or menu that some people could.

Some menu/configuration settings could only be accessed by someone with over 30 years of experience in the field.

We don't have those kind of years behind us and these special configuration menus tends to hid themselves from us.

Just do a search on past replies, you'll see that other like you had been told about interface or setting that they couldn't find despite spending countless hours on it. " title="Applause" />

Btw, you don't have to listen to me. I've been told by experienced person with over 30 years of experience that I dished out bad advice even though his advice doesn't work.

Something is wrong with you ... Think it's time you went

See how your signature got edited .... Will not take long to do the rest .

If you need to have a go on every one of your childish posts then you are not needed on this forum ... Now grow up you child

Would it not be better to help than be a problem in a post .... Do you not understand how a forum works ...... Or like the other post your talking about ...... Do we have to take it to private pm so as you can't get involved again.

Some menu/configuration settings could only be accessed by someone with over 30 years of experience in the field.

We don't have those kind of years behind us and these special configuration menus tends to hid themselves from us.

Just do a search on past replies, you'll see that other like you had been told about interface or setting that they couldn't find despite spending countless hours on it. " title="Applause" />

Btw, you don't have to listen to me. I've been told by experienced person with over 30 years of experience that I dished out bad advice even though his advice doesn't work.

I have no idea what you are talking about

I have no idea what you are talking about

Don't worry he is just the forum China spam King

1. You had done Port forwarding manually on your router (Not using the UPNP function of the router & DVR).

2. Port fowarding is done properly and show up on your router's configuration page.

You repeat that with 2 other routers of different brand/models and both also have their port forwarding settings vanish after you reboot your DVR ?

Just to double confirm. You manually configured the port forwarding settings on the router and did not rely on the DVR and Router's UPNP function to configure the port forwarding on the router.

Thanks for responding.

I configured port forwarded and selected TCP/UDP for both the RTSP port and HTTP port

The HTTP port setting ONLY actually vanishes from the DVR if you unplug the power and reboot it. It actually still reads on the settings page, but I just found out (this weekend) if you re-enter it and save the setting, it will work. It is not remembering the setting. It DOES remember the RTSP port

When the DVR reboots and if I don't re-enter the http port setting, I can not access from internet.

UPNP is on on my router but the port map shows that it is only tied to my computer and synology drive (none of these things are on when I have the DVR problem with my security system)

Appreciate if you can delete whatever bad advises I had given to avoid misleading other forum users to waste time in following my advice.

tomcctv is right.

P2P is the only way to make it work.

You should look for P2P in the menu and get it to work. There's no other way around it.

Apologies for wasting your time in reading my posts.

Thanks for responding.

Appreciate if you can delete whatever bad advises I had given to avoid misleading other forum users to waste time in following my advice.

tomcctv is right.

P2P is the only way to make it work.

You should look for P2P in the menu and get it to work. There's no other way around it.

Apologies for wasting your time in reading my posts.

Daryl1733. You need to learn to read ...... I only asked the op if he was using auto setup (p2p) not that he must use it and the op gave a good reason why he did not want to use p2p.

But let's take a look at how the op sorted out his own problem

But first you need to understand p2p was giving the problem in the first place ....... If you read again I said un tick the option for p2p..

The reason I said that was because every time a p2p system is shut down and back on without that option being deleted the recorder will alway try to setup via p2p..... Now with inputting your own network settings into the recorder while P2p is enabled every time it powered down the recorder will auto change the manual input network setting for its own so it can go and fetch the QR code.

But there are a few ways to stop the recorder from using its own p2p

1st is like I surgested ....... Switch it off

Or like the op has done and remove UDP

Just for your reference TCP/UDP is needed for p2p

Glad I could help ....... With all the experience you keep putting in your posts I have ..... I hope you have learned something