Sign in to follow this  
jpatt2020

Cannot Get DVR To Stay Connected

Hi All. I have AT&T Uverse and a Aposonic 4 channel DVR. It's been working great for a couple of years with a static IP and port forwarding. I use an app on my phone to remotely view cameras. I've recently had a new issue develop where I'm no longer able to remotely connect to the DVR either on the LAN or via the NET outside of my LAN. I tried resetting the DVR and it works....only for about 8 hours. Then I can no longer connect. Thinking it was a hardware issue with the DVR itself, I replaced the DVR and same issue. It's almost as if the port forwarding is timing out, or my network connection is dropping out. The DVR is hardwired directly to the AT&T router. Any ideas? I'm out of them!

Said you were using static IP before? Maybe you don't have static IP anymore. Check your WAN IP on canyouseeme.org or whatsmyip.org occasionally. If it is not the same all the time , then your ISP is connecting you using dynamic DNS , and in that case you have to use some DDNS service. Try free no-ip account for instance, valid only one month but you can try. Of course ports still must be forwarded .

I can't think of any reason why you couldn't connect to your DVR on LAN if DVR has static IP (usually 192.168.x.x).

More info would be helpful.

I can't think of any reason why you couldn't connect to your DVR on LAN if DVR has static IP (usually 192.168.x.x)

There is the possibility that a new device has come along with a duplicate IP. If WiFi is involved onsite, that could even be a neighbours device (even when your own DVR is hardwired).

Ok, rossko, there is a possibility of duplicate IP address, but not from another Wlan. To check this,I sugest jpatt2020 to disconnect DVR from LAN and then scan the network with some IP scanner software (Eusing IP Scanner or Radmin Advanced IP Scanner) to see if there exists any other device with the same local IP address as DVR's. If so, change the DVR's IP address to some higher value (last number) so it would be less possible to be reached by DHCP.

Ok, rossko, there is a possibility of duplicate IP address, but not from another Wlan. To check this,I sugest jpatt2020 to disconnect DVR from LAN and then scan the network with some IP scanner software (Eusing IP Scanner or Radmin Advanced IP Scanner) to see if there exists any other device with the same local IP address as DVR's. If so, change the DVR's IP address to some higher value (last number) so it would be less possible to be reached by DHCP.

This sounds like a good idea. I have certainly checked my IP with canyouseeme, etc., and it has not changed. Just really odd that it works EVERY time i restart the DVR for about 18 hours, and then i can no longer connect to it (whether I'm trying from the inside on the LAN, or the outside).

So i figured this out for anyone having the same issue I wanted to post the solution I reached. I went into my router settings and maxed out my UDP and TCP timeouts. The UDP timeout was set at 12 hours, so that was the culprit (I'm assuming), as everything works perfectly now!

So i figured this out for anyone having the same issue I wanted to post the solution I reached. I went into my router settings and maxed out my UDP and TCP timeouts. The UDP timeout was set at 12 hours, so that was the culprit (I'm assuming), as everything works perfectly now!

I have always found ATT routers to be a pain, I worked for them also.

I always used a external router on a ATT modem and set it to passthrough so it could be controlled easier using my netgear router.

Seemed to always be a pain with opening ports with ATT and other settings.

If you get into the situation again, just go get a external router and put ATT on passthrough and your life will be easier from then on into the future