Sketch

NVR to Access Point Wirelessly?

Is there any way I could connect an NVR to the internet without an ethernet cable?

I have a wireless AP in range. Any hardware out there that could connect them?

Do wireless dongles work with NVR's?

Thanks

Is there any way I could connect an NVR to the internet without an ethernet cable?

I have a wireless AP in range. Any hardware out there that could connect them?

Do wireless dongles work with NVR's?

Thanks

it's call wireless bridge

I have a question about this too. My setup so far is...I have an ASUS RT87U connected to my modem, then I have a CAT5 cable running from that router to another ASUS RT87U on the first floor and its an AP. Then I connected a ASUS RT66U to my Hikvision NVR and set it as Bridge mode, but still doesn't seem to be working. any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

I've been using one of these. Powered by USB, or on board battery, ethernet port at the other end to plug into.

https://www.ebay.com/i/252514250563?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Curious if my camera system would use these as access points between the camera and NVR, allowing me to move the NVR to a more secure location by the router.

Just took a look at that product, its an 802.11b based product. Why are you contemplating bottle necking tour NVR to a maximum wireless data throughput of 11 mbps? You did noticed the "b" after 802.11 right? That't what it means. I would just install DD-WRT to a supported 802.11n based router or purchase a wireless router with DD-WRT already installed, then change wireless mode to "client bridge", and join the DD-WRT wireless router to your primary router, now you will have 4 network ports behind the DD-WRT wireless router to connect stuff, there you just connect your NVR and the NVR will get the IP address from your primary router's DHCP server and not from your DD-WRT server effectively creating a bridged wireless switched.

Troubleshooting:

You should modify the default gateway ip address of the DD-WRT wireless router which defaults to 192.168.1.1 if 192.168.1.1 happens to also be the gateway ip of your primary router in order to avoid running into potential problems. what I would do is change the DD-WRT's router IP address to 192.168.3.1, then disable its DHCP server, reboot the router, re-login by going to 192.168.3.1 on the web browser and then create the wireless client bridge connection to the primary router and test to make sure its working by plugging a PC or a laptop using an ethernet cable behind the DD-WRT router, if everything is working 100% you should get an IP lease from your primary router (192.168.1.xxx) and should be able to surf the web i the same manner if you were directly connected straight to your primary router. Now you can take the DD-WRT router and hide it along with your NVR, plug in a cable from LAN port 1, 2, 3, or 4 to the back of the NVR and the NVR should be connected just fine.

WARNING:

If you go to far, the wireless performance, well the bridge may not be strong enough and it might break, or in other words loose its wireless link in the same manner as your laptop might lose from time to time its wireless link when you go to the far reaches of your house/patio, so for this reason if you can help it why not just run a long ethernet cable and hide it on the attic where you possibly would want to hide the NVR, an Ethernet cable is easy to run behind walls and up to the attic, try that instead.

To defend my case:

1. It's what I had on hand

2. It's cheap

3. It is a solution to what the original poster requested

I know the limitations of this hardware. Sending an email notifications for a failed drive or camera are way more important than streaming live video in my case so it works for me.

I agree that a more expensive router would accomplish the same thing.