boxerhead

POE Cam IP Traffic isolation options

Does anyone make an NVR that allows an external POE switch to route directly to the NVR and not the router? It looks like to me that the only way to isolate your home network from the camera load is to home run all cameras to the POE switch built into the NVR or use a managed switch.

Sure would be nice to be able, in my install situation, to home run all of the cameras to a POE switch and then from the POE switch to the NVR and have the NVR have a second port to the router firewalling the traffic from the POE/Camera load. Does anyone make and NVR that will do this or am I missing something? Thanks!

Does anyone make an NVR that allows an external POE switch to route directly to the NVR and not the router? It looks like to me that the only way to isolate your home network from the camera load is to home run all cameras to the POE switch built into the NVR or use a managed switch.

Sure would be nice to be able, in my install situation, to home run all of the cameras to a POE switch and then from the POE switch to the NVR and have the NVR have a second port to the router firewalling the traffic from the POE/Camera load. Does anyone make and NVR that will do this or am I missing something? Thanks!

Every NVR will do this, that is the premise of networking...as long as the nvr and cams are connected to the same switch and the switch is then connected to a router, no traffic will pass through the router unless you are viewing on another device..

I've talked to multiple resellers, TechPro Security Systems and Lorex Tech Support and both gave me the same description of how their NVRs could be connected. They both stated that you home run to POE ports on the NVR (isolateing the traffic off the home LAN) or use and external POE switch that would have to be plugged into the Router first and the NVR attached to the router as well. Without a managed switch, my understanding is that this exposes the network to the traffic of the camera system which they agreed with. TechPro even broke down the cost of the, admittedly lower these days, managed switch VS the cost of additional cabling. Cost is not the issue here, its access for me and single cable drop to the limited NVR location.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2168369/tech-primers/for-ip-surveillance-networks--smart-poe-switches-give-an-edge.html

"A Virtual Local Area Network (VLAN) uses an Ethernet switch to partition a physical network, thereby creating distinct broadcast domains. VLANs are especially useful when an IP Surveillance network shares the same network infrastructure with other functions or applications, such as a corporate data network. By assigning the IP Surveillance traffic to a separate, distinct, high-priority VLAN, the traffic is assured to pass through the network swiftly and securely."

My concern would be less for the camera data priority than hosing the home network, a concern the TechPro brought to my attention.

I've talked to multiple resellers, TechPro Security Systems and Lorex Tech Support and both gave me the same description of how their NVRs could be connected. They both stated that you home run to POE ports on the NVR (isolateing the traffic off the home LAN) or use and external POE switch that would have to be plugged into the Router first and the NVR attached to the router as well. Without a managed switch, my understanding is that this exposes the network to the traffic of the camera system which they agreed with. TechPro even broke down the cost of the, admittedly lower these days, managed switch VS the cost of additional cabling. Cost is not the issue here, its access for me and single cable drop to the limited NVR location.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2168369/tech-primers/for-ip-surveillance-networks--smart-poe-switches-give-an-edge.html

"A Virtual Local Area Network (VLAN) uses an Ethernet switch to partition a physical network, thereby creating distinct broadcast domains. VLANs are especially useful when an IP Surveillance network shares the same network infrastructure with other functions or applications, such as a corporate data network. By assigning the IP Surveillance traffic to a separate, distinct, high-priority VLAN, the traffic is assured to pass through the network swiftly and securely."

My concern would be less for the camera data priority than hosing the home network, a concern the TechPro brought to my attention.

Now you have completely changed your issue from the original post. In the op your issue was the camera "load"...

If you have a security concern about the camera why dont you have the same concern about the NVR? its not adding up..

If you have want to completely isolate the traffic you will need a switch and router that support Vlan...

Now you have completely changed your issue from the original post. In the op your issue was the camera "load"...

If you have a security concern about the camera why dont you have the same concern about the NVR? its not adding up..

If you have want to completely isolate the traffic you will need a switch and router that support Vlan...

Almost all HIK NVR have 2 NIC cards

One for cameras

second for LAN

and your traffic completely separated

One for cameras

second for LAN

Exactly what I had hoped for, thanks so much for the reply! Another reason to go with HIK.

One for cameras

second for LAN

Exactly what I had hoped for, thanks so much for the reply! Another reason to go with HIK.

You are not isolating anything this way...understand that the NVR is NOT isolated on the network. Why are you so concerned about isolating the cameras but dont care about the NVR itself, its just as prone to security issues as a camera...

You are not isolating anything this way...understand that the NVR is NOT isolated on the network. Why are you so concerned about isolating the cameras but dont care about the NVR itself, its just as prone to security issues as a camera...

Boogie relax

I think OP just want to separate traffic

Boogie relax

Sorry about my ambiguity and confusion in my first post that was trying to convey my desire to not flood my busy home network with the load from newly installed high resolution cameras. Thanks for the help here from all!

Boogie relax

Sorry about my ambiguity and confusion in my first post that was trying to convey my desire to not flood my busy home network with the load from newly installed high resolution cameras. Thanks for the help here from all!

If that is the case, my earlier response is correct....as long as the NVR and cameras are connected to the same switch no traffic passes through the router...this is basic networking 101...the fact that level 1 tech support folks dont understand that is not surprising to me..

A Switch isn’t a hub a switch learns the ports that mac addresses are on, unicast packets are only sent out ports for their destination not out every port as in the case of a hub. So as long as your NVR and home router are on different ports on the switch the router will not see any of the camera packets, except broadcast packets. A camera unless compromised will send very few broadcast packets. Managed switches are only needed where you want to be able to either apply VLANs or remotely enable or disable a switch port.