I've installed a video software DOS based in a AMD Duron 1.6 GHz with XP home in it. The program opens up from the cmd windows.

The CPU goes up to 100 % usage when the video software is running.

Anyone knows how to lower the cpu speed?

thanks.

You can throttle the CPU in the BIOS of most motherboards, but by default most coding is done to work the CPU to the Max when compressing the data, the other option is to compress it on chip, I remember you could make some adjustments in 2000 server but been a while since I have done that so can't really remember

You'll want to tweak XP to turn off as much of the cruft as possible, and one of the other threads has that. But a thought from left field. Have you tried running it in Linux? DOSEmu does a wonderful job and you get less OS overhead.

Thomas,

My customer has other softwares running in the same machine, and all require Windows. Everything was working fine in another machine with 98 in it. The problem started when we switched to a new one with XP, becasue they wanted a security camera hooked to it.

When all the programs are working the cpu is at 10%, but even running this DOS app. by itself the cpu goes up to 100%. I am afraid I will crash.

It sounds like the program doesn't like the pseudo-DOS that the NT kernels use for compatiblity. You may want to tweak the compatibility settings for it and see if that helps. If that's not an option, and they don't need the program 24/7, dual booting might not be a bad idea. Contrary to what MS says, you can dual boot Win98/XP, it's just not fun.

I think that I'll try a tweak, since they need the program running while the store is open.

thanks for the idea Thomas.