Sign in to follow this  
elevatedthinking

Enumerating a CCTV Network

Hello all,

I am currently trying to help a friend who has come into ownership of an establishment which is fully networked / wired and is running properly. There are a half dozen Axis CCTV cameras running throughout the building. Upon a first walk through of the building, The cameras all appear to be wired into a switch (I assume PoE) located in the network room. An employee mentioned that at one point he was able to power on a TV monitor in his office and see all 6 cameras as one would expect. I haven't been able to reproduce this yet.

Since this is mostly a black box scenario, I don't have in depth knowledge (yet) of how the network is setup and what tools are being used, I am unsure of the best course to map everything out.

Some things that came to mind were to plug into that PoE switch and run an Nmap scan in an attempt to detect the IP's of the Axis cameras that were connected. This seems like a logical way to locate the cameras, but it left me thinking about how I would figure out what NVR system is being used? I couldn't think of a way to identify the NVR system on the network outside of trying to identify it via the Nmap results. I see that Axis offers an IP Utility that would most likely show the connected cameras, however it doesn't appear to run under linux. While it's not impossible to use a Windows machine to perform these tasks, I was hoping to stick to Linux when possible.

I would be curious to hear what sort of methods that you would use to start to understand the network layout. I understand this post may be lacking a lot of required information, I can add more info as I discover it. I appreciate any advice on techniques to carry out such a task!

Cheers!