Sign in to follow this  
ianspark1@live.co.uk

3G/4G routers

Hi all

Just wondering if anybody has used a 3G/4G router for internet access to a DVR and how does it perform?

I'm in the process of quoting for a small 4 cam TVi set up but its a remote location with no internet access. The router will only be used for the dvr as its not an office or a home. Any inputs are appreciated. Thank you

I use Cradlepoint 850's and Sierra Wireless ES450's with good results on unlimited 4G LTE plans through T-mobile. 

I'm using a NetGear LB1120 on T-Mobile for an Internet connection fail-over.  It works great.  Warning: These data connections are almost always NAT'ed.  Which means, adding your border router, you will be double-NAT'ed.  This means you almost certainly won't be able to port-forward for making connections inward.

It works with my Synology NAS' Surveillance Station NVR functionality, because, when the Internet connection is failed-over to my T-Mobile connection, the connection back to my surveillance system goes through Synology's servers.

If you're using cloud storage it shouldn't be a problem.

that's a good point, it is true I have CGNAT in place on my connections however what I do is setup a VPN from to a small VPS which provides a tunnel back in over the CGNAT connection.