rory

Router Routing

Hi

Ok, im very knowledgeable with computer hardware, software, etc, but, ive never done this, I need to set a lynx DSL/Cable Router to take all incoming requests to a specific IP and send them to the DVR on a specific Port (say 192.168.1.110, where 192.168.1.1 is the first port). Lets say the static Ip is 24.244.155.55 (not real), and I have a DVR and a PC, PC only needs to to browse the web. The admin section is pretty complicated, as to what is to be changed where.

I will search tomorrow on Lynx's site to see if the info is there, and ill read their 60 page help PDF, but just checking in to see if anyone has a done this yet.

Thanks

Rory

I have never used a Lynx router before, however I would imagine that the principles would be the same.

You have obviously paid for a static I/P from your ISP and this is your external window to the world.

If you can imagine that your Street is the internet, your House is your router and your Garage the computer and your Car the DVR.

Your street can let access to many houses, however yours has a specific address, this is the address that the rest of the world can get to you with and it is where to find you, this is your Static I/P address and is your EXTERNAL network to the internet.

Your house has a main door but it also has a number of windows, back doors etc etc, these are the ports on your router. When you want to protect your house from intruders you activate the firewall (lock all doors and windows) you can still get in the front door but only if you have the key to do so.

Most remote application software will use a TCP port and the manufactorer should be able to tell you which one it uses (in other words, which window to use to get in). However every time you go in through any port or entrance you are still entering the House (router). When you use the remote software you are trying to connect to another device on your INTERNAL Network, you are trying to get to the DVR (car). What your Router does is act like a butler for you, if you enter the house from the window(port) then the butler knows that everytime you enter this way you would like to go to the Computer (Garage) but if you come in the back door (another port) then the butler knows that you would like to go directly to the DVR.

This is called Port forwarding, you can set your Router to forward the port that the remote software uses to direct you to the car (DVR). You need to make sure the Car is parked inside however and at the same spot all the time. This is called fixing your internal I/P address, Microsoft invented some I/P numbers that will work only inside a network and will not work outside of it, you can use this to Fix your Internal I/P for both your DVR and your computer, you then tell the router to forward all enquiries on a certain port to the fixed I/P address of the DVR.

If you do not do this then when you are sitting elsewhere connecting to your Static I/P at your router it will try to send you to where it is told to or where your I/P address for the DVR was last time, however it may well have changed.

In short you need to configure the router to port forward the port that your software uses to the DVR and this will be in the port forwarding section of the router, if your device has a built in firewall, you will need to do the same with it. Most routers allow for remote configuration, so if you get stuck mate email me and I can do it from here for you. digitalsecurity@westnet.com.au

I have never used a Lynx router before, however I would imagine that the principles would be the same.

You have obviously paid for a static I/P from your ISP and this is your external window to the world.

If you can imagine that your Street is the internet, your House is your router and your Garage the computer and your Car the DVR.

Your street can let access to many houses, however yours has a specific address, this is the address that the rest of the world can get to you with and it is where to find you, this is your Static I/P address and is your EXTERNAL network to the internet.

Your house has a main door but it also has a number of windows, back doors etc etc, these are the ports on your router. When you want to protect your house from intruders you activate the firewall (lock all doors and windows) you can still get in the front door but only if you have the key to do so.

Most remote application software will use a TCP port and the manufactorer should be able to tell you which one it uses (in other words, which window to use to get in). However every time you go in through any port or entrance you are still entering the House (router). When you use the remote software you are trying to connect to another device on your INTERNAL Network, you are trying to get to the DVR (car). What your Router does is act like a butler for you, if you enter the house from the window(port) then the butler knows that everytime you enter this way you would like to go to the Computer (Garage) but if you come in the back door (another port) then the butler knows that you would like to go directly to the DVR.

This is called Port forwarding, you can set your Router to forward the port that the remote software uses to direct you to the car (DVR). You need to make sure the Car is parked inside however and at the same spot all the time. This is called fixing your internal I/P address, Microsoft invented some I/P numbers that will work only inside a network and will not work outside of it, you can use this to Fix your Internal I/P for both your DVR and your computer, you then tell the router to forward all enquiries on a certain port to the fixed I/P address of the DVR.

If you do not do this then when you are sitting elsewhere connecting to your Static I/P at your router it will try to send you to where it is told to or where your I/P address for the DVR was last time, however it may well have changed.

In short you need to configure the router to port forward the port that your software uses to the DVR and this will be in the port forwarding section of the router, if your device has a built in firewall, you will need to do the same with it. Most routers allow for remote configuration, so if you get stuck mate email me and I can do it from here for you. digitalsecurity@westnet.com.au

ok thanks. I just read the instructions for setting up a port forwarding etc. seems easy enough. One thing it doesnt say is whether I need to disable the router firewall or not.

Rory

Basically the firewall is before the port forwarding (well not really) but for discussion purposes it is.

What the firewall will do amongst other things is only allow a certain range of I/P addreses to connect to your router, for example you might only want your home I/P address to connect to the router therefore anyone else trying to hack you can not get it. (it is alot more complicated than that).

Basically if you turn your firewall on or if it is on by default then you need to allow the same things as you have done with the port forwarding. To be honest I always use the firewall, however unless you have sensitive material on your network, you may not want to. If you use Outlook and have a client database then I strongly recommend it, or do not connect your DVR to your internal network.

Hope this helped!

Basically the firewall is before the port forwarding (well not really) but for discussion purposes it is.

What the firewall will do amongst other things is only allow a certain range of I/P addreses to connect to your router, for example you might only want your home I/P address to connect to the router therefore anyone else trying to hack you can not get it. (it is alot more complicated than that).

Basically if you turn your firewall on or if it is on by default then you need to allow the same things as you have done with the port forwarding. To be honest I always use the firewall, however unless you have sensitive material on your network, you may not want to. If you use Outlook and have a client database then I strongly recommend it, or do not connect your DVR to your internal network.

Hope this helped!

No they only have the DVR and 1 PC which is only on once in a while, and they only check email or browse the web, nothing sensetive though. I suppose I will have to turn it off then.

ok thanks, i got the router working with the DVR and another PC on cable internet, using the port forwardingto the DVR for that port

Rory

Cheers!

when i get the my browser control back up and running ill send you a link to check it out, so you wont have to download the viewer software.

trying to get them to upgrade to high resolution BW instead of the 420TVL BW Bullets. Ganz ZC BW DOmes look good and easy to install/setup, and have a wide angle varifocal lens version, but $450 compared to Kalatel's $300 High Res DOme. All are vandal proof weatherproof. I know there are cheaper ones like the provideo, but been there done that, I want him to have the best. I did want tradional cameras but too hard tofind a ceiling mount weatherproof housing for them, plus they would need to cut the ceiling to install it.

Rory

cant get into my main computer tonight to set up the browser control, but here is the link to download my WaveVue Live application, its only 3MB. Email me for the IP Address. Works on all windows versions including XP(except not tested on NT or 2000, but should work fine)

http://www.aspbahamas.com/ms/download.asp

Select WaveVue LIVE near the bottom of the page.

Rory

Cheers!

when i get the my browser control back up and running ill send you a link to check it out, so you wont have to download the viewer software.

trying to get them to upgrade to high resolution BW instead of the 420TVL BW Bullets. Ganz ZC BW DOmes look good and easy to install/setup, and have a wide angle varifocal lens version, but $450 compared to Kalatel's $300 High Res DOme. All are vandal proof weatherproof. I know there are cheaper ones like the provideo, but been there done that, I want him to have the best. I did want tradional cameras but too hard tofind a ceiling mount weatherproof housing for them, plus they would need to cut the ceiling to install it.

Rory

I will email you to get the password and I/P..

Dude your email keeps coming back to me, do you have another email?

If not i will try the PM on here.

Rory

Mate its not working, connects ok but cant see any pictures, Perhaps I need a codec that is not on my system?

Any pointers?

Try again if you like. What OS are you running?

If it still doesnt work, you can download Kalatel's software and set up a new location in the address book, then connect using that. I have noticed lately that I had to connect using that first. DOnt know why, I need a DVR here in my appt to fully test the issues. Only started having them after our cable company changed their system.

The software uses some windows ActiveX controls already on windows, and some new ones that it installs. It 'may' have an issue with Windows 2000, I havent had a copy of that in some time, to test with.

WaveReader - manufacturer's software - 30MB (!)

http://www.geindustrial.com/ge-interlogix/software/WaveReader_3_0.ZIP

Plays live and recorded video, and much more

Or try the BasicVue on that same download page from my web site, it has some updated connections and may work better for you, its even smaller in size, 2MB.

Info for set up is on the download page, same IP address as i sent you.

Rory

What was the bounce notification.. can you please post it up here so I can see the error?

I have pretty tight security on my mail server, you don't have any attachments wiht it did you? I did recieve 1 email with the I/P. but as I said it connects but blue screens only!

Ok will try again... hay do you have ICQ, would be easier than posts?

I have XP Pro, tried it on XP Home as well and 2000, all the same, checked active x controls, only thing I havent done is reboot, about to try that now... will download the other one and try it out. will let ya know

What was the bounce notification.. can you please post it up here so I can see the error?

I have pretty tight security on my mail server, you don't have any attachments wiht it did you? I did recieve 1 email with the I/P. but as I said it connects but blue screens only!

If you are behind a firewall it may not play the video. If you have the time, plz try the manufacturers software, or try the BasicVue basic software I have on myh download page, and let me know what happens. If it doesnt work with the manu soft then it must be a firewall or OS issue, id have to check on that. Id like to know for when I start to work on the software again, upgrading etc. Though i really need a local DVR to test with, which will come in the new year, i did test on XP and ME over the internet, using various computers, that didnt have any previous software installed.

Ofcourse, i have changed the set up using the Router, but i doubt that is an issue.

Ok will try again... hay do you have ICQ, would be easier than posts?

I have XP Pro, tried it on XP Home as well and 2000, all the same, checked active x controls, only thing I havent done is reboot, about to try that now... will download the other one and try it out. will let ya know

hi, no sorry no ICQ, or Instant Mess, just email. PM works ok though so let me know.

this is what came back (message excluded)

Unknown user: digitalsecurity@westnet.com.au

Very strange with the email thing, however I did finally recieve it (obviously), I tried the Kalatel software but it crashed my system and wrapped itself around my Sys32 files. It did not install properly in the first place, kept saying cant read certain files I skipped them, so I assume that is why.

Your probably right about the router, can you tell me which ports it uses and I will open mine up to it.

It could be a version issue, some DVRS have this issue when connecting with a different version because they may have made adjustments to the codec.

If you email it to me again I will give it another go, this is why I love XP, no risk and you can always roll back!

Do they not have a web based version that does not require software?

Hope this helped,

Very strange with the email thing, however I did finally recieve it (obviously), I tried the Kalatel software but it crashed my system and wrapped itself around my Sys32 files. It did not install properly in the first place, kept saying cant read certain files I skipped them, so I assume that is why.

Your probably right about the router, can you tell me which ports it uses and I will open mine up to it.

It could be a version issue, some DVRS have this issue when connecting with a different version because they may have made adjustments to the codec.

If you email it to me again I will give it another go, this is why I love XP, no risk and you can always roll back!

Do they not have a web based version that does not require software?

Hope this helped,

Hi

Ive never had a problem installing their software on any windows versions yet, especially windows XP.

No they dont have a browser based, not on these DVRs, these are single channels, the newer DVRs do have it installed, but i think it is active X so you still download files. There are actually only 3 or 4 needed files (i know from testing and writing the GUI).

I still dont see how you are having an issue, unless another file is in use already that is being installed. I do remember this happening with an earlier version of my software on another computer, which i fixed, was copying a file that XP was already running in the background, where ME/98 never did. Which software gave you the error? WaveVue (mine) or Kalatel's WaveReader (30MB)?

It uses port 1024.

Rory

I will try again when I get a chance, I have port forwarded already. I think you might need the Ligos Indio codec to view it. This seems to be what it uses. Microsoft in its infinite wisdom decided this codec was no longer free in XP (only really recent versions) and my XP is fairly new, I will install that and have a go.