Sign in to follow this  
brevardcam

Aol, Linksys, DVR, dang!

Hi all,

This one caught me off guard and I am hoping someone can save me some research.

Home office has 3 computer on regular Linksys 4 port (not wireless). I added a DVR and configured as usual. Come to find out, they are using AOL for ISP which requires log on (screen name, pass). I attempted to talk them into dumping AOL and use RR since they have Broadband, but no luck...lol..

Question: Can I hook DVR up so it bypasses the AOL crap, or better put, how the hell do I get around this log on crap!....all their screen names available are used. Plus, if power fail occurs, it needs to get back on. Also, do i need to load the AOL software (please god no, say no)?

Thanks from

BrevardCam

You're in luck, for a long time AOL was the only people who would give me DSL. Good news, what you want can be done, but they are going to have to give up a screen name to do it. Just set it up like any other router for DSL. PPPoE, username (aolscreen name plus @aol.com) and the password. After that it works like any other DSL line. No AOL crap. You get the normal always on connection. But some notes. AOL blocks port 80 and 21 and 25 and any other useful port. And no, you don't need to load the AOL software.

Thomas,

Dont usually take one persons advice blindly, but in this case, I just wanted someone that has done it, and will take your word for it....... I especially like the part of No AOL software!~

Thanks,

Bcam