FredB

Web Cam inbedded on web site

I have a customer who want a camera overlooking the runway on their airport. He wants to have it displayed on his web page imbedded with the design of the page, showing live video all the time. How do you do that?

Does not want the usual "down load plug in and install to work" stuff. The video should just pop up when people go to his site. Should work on Mac and PC.

Thanks,

Fredrik

It depends on what software you're using. With us it's a matter of making the image a call to the link for the camera. Like this Camera.aspx?ServerID=1&CameraNumber=9

Software as in web design or web cam software? Dreamweaver for the design I know. He has a good web designer that will add the video I think. Wanted to use a hi res regular cctv camera and hook it up to a web server like Av Tech 's one with a static IP. Is it then possible to take that stream and somehow inserte it to the web page without the need for a plug in, or do you have to have a camera directly hooked up to the computer. The site is hosted somewhere else.

Thanks for the post

Ps.

That camera looks pretty good. Can you set it for a higher res. and a little slower speed. What software is that

iF the web server uses Java like Thomas' product, then the visitor to the web page will not have to download a plug in, unless they have browser problems with Java, which is rare.

Anyway, connect the broadband modem to the video server, assign the IP address in the video server, and it will stream. In the web page you just make a call for that IP address using the tags for that particular video server, such as what Thomas just pointed out above.

You can use Notepad to make the actual web page, that part does not matter, its what software the Video server uses that matters as to whether the person downloads a plug in or not. Most video servers have Java now a days, DVR Servers with Java are less common.

Does anyone know if there is a free standing 1 channel web server that uses Java, or do I have to get a PCI plug in card and a PC. I was trying to avoid that route. What about a cctv web server that uses MPEG-4? Still need a plugin and/or is it possible to insert video to a web page at all with a MPEG-4 server. Also I need the best possible quality for this. Is there any difference in Compression/Image quality between the different web servers or is "Java" just the same everythere?

Any help greately apprichiated

*coughs* No java on our site. Some javascript, but mostly it's an ASP.net back end. Basicly what we're doing is sending .jpgs as a steady stream. It avoids the whole plugin/codec/activeX issue all together. Streaming the video is a little bit harder, with Mpeg-4 you're going to have to have a plugin installed on the client end (something like Quicktime, which is most likely preinstalled.) You can do higher resolutions on our software. For more info you can go to www.video-insight.com

I don't want to deal with the extra cost/work of adding a computer + this seems really simple to set up. I surfed around and read some reviews, and this one has gotten the best reviews by far. I haven't seen a better webcam anywhere in terms of picture. My customere don't need a fast refresh rate, just a great image so 1 frame every five seconds is fine.

Thanks for all the help

Fredrik

I have a good and cheap solution for you, unless you're locked on the stardot cam:

There's a small 4 channel video server (will display only one channel at a time), that provides a great image, is very easy to install, very easy to implement into your web page and it costs only ~100$.

It uses an ActiveX component to display the video, but it is signed so with regular settings and the latest firmware, the plugin will be silently installed (not absolutely sure, but you can check it by trying to view the demo).

A Big advantage in a video server is that You can connect any standard CCTV camera to it.

You can see a sample here:

http://www.tlcstream.com/Sample.htm

User: guest, Pass: guest

The manufacturer is Aviosys (Taiwan):

http://www.aviosys.com/p_multimedia%20link9100.htm

TLC Stream is distributing it under their own brand name, with a modified web based user interface, but it's the same product.

You can read on how to implement the video into your web page in the last paragraph here:

http://www.tlcstream.com/21232.html

Good luck.

Thomas: very nice streaming for your product. very good quality for less than 10K per frame. What kind of compression is it? pixelization doesn't look like the kind mpeg4 forms.

The compression is MJPEG rather then MPEG. It's a trade off, larger file size but the digital artifacting isn't as bad. It also is a bit easier to stream without a plugin (active-x or other wise) so your end user gets a little more flexiblity in what they use at home to view it. We've tested it against IE, Firefox (and other members of the gecko family) Opera, Konqueror and the site still works.