CCTVINSTALLER

XP Pro SP2

Hi Guys,

Any comments on XP Pro SP2, we've started to use them with our new geovision systems. Havent had any problems yet, but ive heard of a rebooting problem. Is it safe to use? Thanks in advance

It does work ok, but one thing to keep in mind is that some web based remote view things use active x and by defualt with SP2 this is not always allowed, nor is some Pop up web functions, SP2 apparently has a firewall built in as well so you may have problems with that, I think it will only affect your remote applications

My take on Microsoft SP2, do not do it unless you have a very specific reasons, such as software requirement that needs certain drivers within SP2. After they released SP2, Microsoft admited that there are quite of few programs, including some their own programs, will not work correctly. Here is a url for some of the programs at least they admit that will not function: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=884130

Be very carefull when upgrading, as it will force you to update all your drivers, starting from bios to all your hardware with its own drivers. Our experience is that even their driver do not work right and most of the manufacturers are behind the curve to provide firmware and software updates to work with SP2... Microsoft addressed a very important topic - SECURITY - but they forgot that most of the world is not going to buy upgrades of software that they use, or will they?. At least they hope so...

I am heavy Linux user and I have no problems as mojority windows users experience.

Levon

it is a real pain, by default the exporer options are to turn of dirct x controls, used by most remote apps, if the firewall is on you have to enable the ports as well and the pop u killer is also a pain in the bum, especialy when it asks you to install a codec and that screen does not show, luckilly Geo changed the web browser so it will prompt without pop up and informs you that SP2 may be blocking it but that is only on latest version, getting sick of tech calls asking why web cam no longer works

A few things first. BIOS's do not need to be updated when moving to SP2. Windows doesn't see the BIOS except as it is translated through the HAL layer.

Windows doesn't see alot of the hardware aspects of anything, it's pretty much abstracted to the windows kernal.

Second, SP2 does do a driver check, but if the drivers you have installed are more current then the ones windows has, then it will just ignore them. It doesn't require a forced reinstall of the drivers. And the drivers MS bundles into Windows are almost always the OEM drivers availible at the time of the OS (Not the SP) release. There are a few exceptions for things like mice and monitor drivers.

The program compatibility is the worst headache for the end user, but alot of it comes from sloppy code on the vendor side. But any service pack is going to break something. As annoying as SP2 can be, it's no where near as bad as any of the SP's for NT4.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems DVR_Expert....but we've been spared. We've had a few people who's MSDE was broken but that's been the limit of our headache with SP2.

You can use it but you need to know what your doing, if you turn on firewall after SP2 install then you need to forward ports like you did on that router, you also need to go to internet explorer optionsd and allow active x controls or the web browser will not work, alos have to kill the pop up killer, mind you this is nto needed in 6.1.

Overall i like what they ahve done, but the layman will have problems with it, lets face it, not many people even know that explorer has levels of security or even options, so this brings a whole new headache, in short, if your handy with PC's use it if not then dont, if your not using a hardware firewall, I would do it as the security is excellent and they managed to close a lot of vulnarabilities,,, bastards though, stops me doing a lot of stuff that I used to be able to do due to vulnarabilities. You really do not need it unless you are not behind a a true firewall.

Any service pack is going to annoy someone...and plugging some of the holes that dangerous software use is well worth the annoyance of those who write software that are legitmate uses of it.