violator

Need multiple user web based video system for Daycare parent

Hello,

We are looking at setting up a streaming over the internet real time (or close to real time) system that should be able to support multiple simultaneous logons and provide at least 3 fps for up to 15 concurrent viewers over the web. It will be in a daycare whereby parents can login over the web to view their child's class, so it should be able to at least register 150 or so users.

The internet connection is a 768 upload dsl system. We have not purchased either a stand alone dvr or pc based. Reading up on here, it appears pc based is reccomended.

I am presuming that, in order to handle up to 15 concurrent viewers, and provide them with at least decent viewing, software efficiency may be more pivotal in this than the type of video card?

Please reccomend the software and/or video card manafacturer that can do this well.

Also, please reccomend good, stable and reliable dome cameras that are fairly inexpensive and a suggestion to a vendor for these items would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Edited by Guest

Using Geovision and h.264 transmission over the internet I get an estimated 10fps with a 300k upload. Viewing an image at 1CIF (320x240).

Based on that, 768k upload would give me 25 fps, or 3fps for 8 - 9 people.

Overheads:

If there is a lot of movement in the image, the FPS can be cut in half.

Im sure there is an overhead for several people viewing the one system.

I imagine, to get the best efficiency, upload the live images to a webserver. People could log into their part of the webpage and view at up to 25fps. Have the webserver limit that to whatever speed you want to reduce costs.

The webserver could even monitor each clients usage and allow you to bill accordingly.

Discuss this last option with geovision (or Rory) and a web designer.

I get an average 2-4fps with a normal cable internet business account, they only have 256K aprox upload for businesses here, doesnt matter what download speed I have - and that is the same whether or not I am using H.264.

Why not try something like Windows Media Encoder? If you can get a video source into that you can easily achieve a reasonable quality 30fps stream even with as little upload bandwidth as 128kbps.

KB

Here are few questions that I think are important:

1. How many cameras will be part of this facility?

2. Will all the cameras be needed to be viewed by parents or selected few?

3. Do you want local recording in the facility as well as availability of remote view for these parents?

4. Or do you want to keep the local recording for "security" reasons and look at web stream of the video?

The up speed of your DSL may be a problem, but it also depends to some of the answer that you can give us for the above questions..

Do they require logins for the classroom cameras? If not I have built systems like this before, you don't need much bandwidth as all viewers see the same feed at the same time. You stream once to my webserver and then it's megapipe takes over.

As a matter of fact I have a background project going similar to this right now. Totally unrelated to child care but the same basic idea. Also no activex required works on all OSs from the client end.

EDIT:

You can solve the login problems by configuring the webserver to request it.

We will have 8 cameras. 5 will be in classrooms, with a maximum of 21 potential unique users per classroom. (Highly doubt all 21 sets of parents will log on at the same time). 3 cameras will be for internal use only, not really needing a fast internet connection. Internally, we would have the ability to monitor and record all 8 cameras.

Parents will be restricted to only viewing their child's specific classroom + 1 (common play areas). So each user would have access to two views: 1 classroom, and one playground.

The users will need to be activated fairly easily as new students start school, and deactivated when they disenroll.

Thanks

I have several proposals that I am not against sharing here, if you guys want to take a look at it.

I would consider using IP mega cams and IP software. You'd be able to use the IP Cam embedded software to allow live real time viewing and audio of video and then have the IP software to store recorded.

ie. use Axis 207MW's and setup user permissions on the cameras for live audio & video viewing. Install a Avermedia 6480express to record the video. Yes, you could use the Avermedia to manage users & password also..............

I would NOT allow anyone to access the recorded outside the check writer and/or WRITTEN policy.

I had heard that IP megapixel cameras will be very slow over the internet because the quality of the images are too good. Please take a look at the proposals in the link that Rory posted above. I'd like your input. Thanks.

I would consider using IP mega cams and IP software. You'd be able to use the IP Cam embedded software to allow live real time viewing and audio of video and then have the IP software to store recorded.

ie. use Axis 207MW's and setup user permissions on the cameras for live audio & video viewing. Install a Avermedia 6480express to record the video. Yes, you could use the Avermedia to manage users & password also..............

I would NOT allow anyone to access the recorded outside the check writer and/or WRITTEN policy.

I'd want this in any contract if it were my money spent;

- original equipment warranty. most DVR's are 1 year, cameras are now 2- 5 years. Purchasing without a warranty is a bad choice.

- DVR........I'd go with a standalone over a PC Based as they are very competitive now. The Avermedia 6000Pro is worth every penny spent. PC Based is admin intensive/offensive. 640 x 480 minium at 15 fps.....plus number of cameras equals a C2D E6600 minium.

- Hybrid integration........both analog & IP cams. put mega pixel cams in locations required, analog in others. Armor domes needed? Low light?

- Network Bandwidth requirments. Since the 207MW's are wireless you can build a seperate network from DVR to cameras. User access will be dependant on your up & download speed.......great bargins out there on ISP bandwidth..........

- Storage? Depends on your local policy/requirements. 2 -3 weeks is normal standard.

- test drive a DEMO or ask for references.........and then call them all. If they don't offer it..............walk away. make sure you view the same like cameras on the estimate. Log on, view live, audio, review day & night recorded, make a CD, copy file to thumb drive and then try to play on any PC available, ect.

- support? ask and then call it to see if they answer the phone. ask the big question; if this Company/person disappears from the face of the earth, how do you get support?

- maintenance contract? not big on them, especially if the system is installed properly.........the right equipment runs a long time. You are better off having a set hourly repair rate AFTER the OEM warranty runs out. ie. 1 year you pay nothing, after that you get a fixed 70 an hour rate.

- security of the person(s) installing? background checks? who has the passwords? keys? are these individuals checked out and safe to have installing your system?

- consider a "lease" program. leases are 100% tax deductable. Purchasing is a 5 year depreciation. Leases carry some added protection incase all goes bad. You can contact a leasing agent and arrange your own options/coverage. presenting to the boss will show him/her that your thinking more than "spend".

- on referneces.ask to see if you can visit the install location. look for clean cabling, equipment install & setup, camera install location and setup, overall look of the install. this may surprise you.......great installers take pride in the work they do

#1 - equipment

#2 - Company installing it............supporting it.

I'd love to do your install................this stuff is fun

Thanks for the good advice VST_Man. Regarding the lease option, if it is 100% tax deductible, are there other benefits as well? Because I think if we paid it outright, I have heard it is considered a capital investment to the business and that can be deducted too?? i'll talk with the CPA.

The Avermedia you reccomended - is that good for handling multiple simultaneous web logons?

Thanks!

I'd want this in any contract if it were my money spent;

- original equipment warranty. most DVR's are 1 year, cameras are now 2- 5 years. Purchasing without a warranty is a bad choice.

- DVR........I'd go with a standalone over a PC Based as they are very competitive now. The Avermedia 6000Pro is worth every penny spent. PC Based is admin intensive/offensive. 640 x 480 minium at 15 fps.....plus number of cameras equals a C2D E6600 minium.

- Hybrid integration........both analog & IP cams. put mega pixel cams in locations required, analog in others. Armor domes needed? Low light?

- Network Bandwidth requirments. Since the 207MW's are wireless you can build a seperate network from DVR to cameras. User access will be dependant on your up & download speed.......great bargins out there on ISP bandwidth..........

- Storage? Depends on your local policy/requirements. 2 -3 weeks is normal standard.

- test drive a DEMO or ask for references.........and then call them all. If they don't offer it..............walk away. make sure you view the same like cameras on the estimate. Log on, view live, audio, review day & night recorded, make a CD, copy file to thumb drive and then try to play on any PC available, ect.

- support? ask and then call it to see if they answer the phone. ask the big question; if this Company/person disappears from the face of the earth, how do you get support?

- maintenance contract? not big on them, especially if the system is installed properly.........the right equipment runs a long time. You are better off having a set hourly repair rate AFTER the OEM warranty runs out. ie. 1 year you pay nothing, after that you get a fixed 70 an hour rate.

- security of the person(s) installing? background checks? who has the passwords? keys? are these individuals checked out and safe to have installing your system?

- consider a "lease" program. leases are 100% tax deductable. Purchasing is a 5 year depreciation. Leases carry some added protection incase all goes bad. You can contact a leasing agent and arrange your own options/coverage. presenting to the boss will show him/her that your thinking more than "spend".

- on referneces.ask to see if you can visit the install location. look for clean cabling, equipment install & setup, camera install location and setup, overall look of the install. this may surprise you.......great installers take pride in the work they do

#1 - equipment

#2 - Company installing it............supporting it.

I'd love to do your install................this stuff is fun

The Avermedia you reccomended - is that good for handling multiple simultaneous web logons?

It really doesn't mtter much you are going to need to use something else to restrict access to the DVR.

The Avermedia is as good as any other but having the volume of people online means massive redesign of how these things work.

The guy thats charging you $100/mo for hosting it is probably legit. I dunno about his hardware but he has the only system that might possibly work right. That is unless an OC12 was hidden in there somewhere and I missed it.

handling multiple log ons is going to be dictated by your link & DVR capabilities. if the DVR can handle it and you connection speed sucks, you'll have problems.................

Avermedia is pretty decent...............specs are on the Internet and you can call direct to talk to them.

I looked up the one you quoted. I don't think its out yet even though it says june 2007. I can't find it anywhere for sale on the internet - not even a price.

I have DSL 768k uploads.

handling multiple log ons is going to be dictated by your link & DVR capabilities. if the DVR can handle it and you connection speed sucks, you'll have problems.................

Avermedia is pretty decent...............specs are on the Internet and you can call direct to talk to them.

it's available....I can sell it or you can search for others that can get it. if your near Vegas, Avermedia is expo'n it and you can go play with it.

Hello,

We are looking at setting up a streaming over the internet real time (or close to real time) system that should be able to support multiple simultaneous logons and provide at least 3 fps for up to 15 concurrent viewers over the web. It will be in a daycare whereby parents can login over the web to view their child's class, so it should be able to at least register 150 or so users.

The internet connection is a 768 upload dsl system. We have not purchased either a stand alone dvr or pc based. Reading up on here, it appears pc based is reccomended.

I am presuming that, in order to handle up to 15 concurrent viewers, and provide them with at least decent viewing, software efficiency may be more pivotal in this than the type of video card?

Please reccomend the software and/or video card manafacturer that can do this well.

Also, please reccomend good, stable and reliable dome cameras that are fairly inexpensive and a suggestion to a vendor for these items would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Hello there,

I think you ought to use GV-VMS. It is a comprehensive video management system that records up to 64 channels of GeoVision and/or third-party IP devices. The live view and playback layout can be easily adjusted with the intuitive drag-and-drop function. GV-VMS comes with a variety of intelligent video analytics to offer precise monitoring and to reduce the need for manual supervision. The built-in Webcam Server allows users to remotely access live view and recordings from anywhere using Web browsers, mobile app and Remote ViewLog. Compatibility with GV-CMS (GeoVision Central Monitoring Station) and interoperability with a wide selection of third-party IP cameras through ONVIF and PSIA make GV-VMS a versatile and effective surveillance solution.

Thanks

Hello,

I recently moved to Singapore with my husband and 19-month old daughter. I want to enroll my daughter in either a preschool, daycare or nursery for a few hours, not necessarily on a daily basis, even if just a few times a week. I want to take some courses but i do not have a nanny to watch my daughter while i am out and i prefer for my daughter to socialize with other kids while i am not around.

i have visited a few schools around my area (Newton/Novena) and also other areas which will take my daughter in but i found them to be too expensive for such a young age (sgd$20,000/year). that exceeds my budget honestly.

I am looking for someplace clean, fun, safe, preferably close by but not necessarily and won't break the bank!

Can you please advise me of such places if anyone knows.