larry

[Official] Upgrade thread - All comments/problems go here

Although the forum was down since 8AM, I got pulled away and could not start the conversion right away. I decided to bring the forum back online instead of waiting until everything was complete.

This upgrade is a work in progress and there will be issues. So please post them here so I can manage them easier.

Some things I already know but I am too lazy to list them all so feel free to bring them up.

Thanks and enjoy!

Larry

Hi Larry and Happy New Year!

Looks great so far, will let you know if any issues arise.

Edit. Only thing I noticed so far that when viewing "View new posts" none are in red so its hard to know which you have already visited, as they still appear there even after a first visit. What would be nice is a Today's posts link also, regardless of which ones we have seen already.

Thanks

Rory

Must say, so far I'm really liking the "View unanswered / View active / View unread" features - the first in particular is handy when I'm bored and have already replied to all my subscribed threads

Good upgrade... but is there a way to change the default color of the text on the main page? The baby blue is a little hard to see against the white background. Something with more contrast maybe? A darker blue?

Good upgrade... but is there a way to change the default color of the text on the main page? The baby blue is a little hard to see against the white background. Something with more contrast maybe? A darker blue?

Which text is baby blue?

I can try to play around with the stylesheet to darken it more.

Which text is baby blue?

I can try to play around with the stylesheet to darken it more.

When I click the "View new posts" link in the upper right of the main frame, I'm taken to a page with a list of posts. Maybe it's just my eyes, but the contrast between the white background and the baby-blue post links just doesn't look to be enough (and bravo for sticking to that traditional darker-text-on-lighter-background setup... light text on dark backgrounds is MUCH harder to read)

Maybe I'm the only one who is having trouble with it... if I am, don't worry about it.

Ok getting around it better now ... a little different from before.

Can we get a themes maybe at some time, to make the fonts etc a little darker?

I see the mew items list is red now

Also, I noticed a user that joined one day, could post links the next day .. even with only 2 total posts. Additionally it would be nice to see the user as banned when they are, just so we know without having to go into the banned list.

Also, I noticed a user that joined one day, could post links the next day .. even with only 2 total posts.

I like the ability for new users to post links and pictures, simply because sometimes they DO have a legitimate need to do so, and it would be really frustrating for those to not be able to - how many times do we see a newbie come in asking about noise issues, and we ask him to provide pictures of the noise, but he can't embed an image or post a ready-to-click link to it?

However, this version of phpBB should have the ability to set new users' posts as "moderated", so for their first "X" number of posts, the posts don't appear until they've been approved by a moderator. (and don't count toward that "X" amount until approved, either). I've found this method VERY effective on another board I admin.

Also, I noticed a user that joined one day, could post links the next day .. even with only 2 total posts.

I like the ability for new users to post links and pictures, simply because sometimes they DO have a legitimate need to do so, and it would be really frustrating for those to not be able to - how many times do we see a newbie come in asking about noise issues, and we ask him to provide pictures of the noise, but he can't embed an image or post a ready-to-click link to it?

However, this version of phpBB should have the ability to set new users' posts as "moderated", so for their first "X" number of posts, the posts don't appear until they've been approved by a moderator. (and don't count toward that "X" amount until approved, either). I've found this method VERY effective on another board I admin.

Prior to introducing that restriction of not being able to post links, I would be editing or deleting dozens to hundreds of posts a day, as there are so many spammers that are attracted to this particular industry, in fact there are much more spammers than the odd newbie that legitimately wants to post a link. That said, many now just get around that by waiting a while, like a user I banned last night who had joined in December and made a couple useless posts, only to come back last night and flood the board with their spam. So whichever way makes it easier for all, except the spammers, im open to that.

A couple issues I have found:

1-links dont open in a new window, so it takes you away from the forum.

2-Smilies do not work.

3-Rich text editor does not work.

Tested in Mozilla Firefox 3.5 and Google Chrome 3.0

Prior to introducing that restriction of not being able to post links, I would be editing or deleting dozens to hundreds of posts a day, as there are so many spammers that are attracted to this particular industry, in fact there are much more spammers than the odd newbie that legitimately wants to post a link. That said, many now just get around that by waiting a while, like a user I banned last night who had joined in December and made a couple useless posts, only to come back last night and flood the board with their spam. So whichever way makes it easier for all, except the spammers, im open to that.

Well, that's the beauty of the moderation-on-first-posts function - someone can sign up and post dozens or hundreds of spam messages, and none of them will appear without mod approval. If you (as a mod) log in and see a new user has posted a ton of spam messages, you just have to delete or ban that user, and there's an option there to delete all his posts well - problem solved and spam posts deleted with just a few clicks, and nobody else ever has to see them.

With my other board, we've had about the same number of spammers regularly trying to sign up and post (averaging three a week)... but since that function was implemented, not one single spam post has made it through to public viewing.... meanwhile we get bands signing up wanting to post gig announcements with links or pictures, or post in the "musicians wanted/available" areas, and aside from the brief mod-approval delay for their first three posts, there's no frustration.

Well, that's the beauty of the moderation-on-first-posts function - someone can sign up and post dozens or hundreds of spam messages, and none of them will appear without mod approval. If you (as a mod) log in and see a new user has posted a ton of spam messages, you just have to delete or ban that user, and there's an option there to delete all his posts well - problem solved and spam posts deleted with just a few clicks, and nobody else ever has to see them.

With my other board, we've had about the same number of spammers regularly trying to sign up and post (averaging three a week)... but since that function was implemented, not one single spam post has made it through to public viewing.... meanwhile we get bands signing up wanting to post gig announcements with links or pictures, or post in the "musicians wanted/available" areas, and aside from the brief mod-approval delay for their first three posts, there's no frustration.

Makes sense... I guess will see what ideas Larry has in regards to this.

No more "go to first unread message" button either. Previously, if you looked at a thread list, any threads with new unread messages would have this button at the start of the topic line.

Example from another board:

119484_1.jpg

No more "go to first unread message" button either. Previously, if you looked at a thread list, any threads with new unread messages would have this button at the start of the topic line.

there is the view the latest post on the right side?