seems the same spam bot is joining over and over under different names ... mods need to check this out ..

all contain the web site:

.maclenet.com

looks like they even using City names now to look legite!! the latest is a bot from Seattle, WA ..

We made memberlist.php on our phpbb site inaccessible, websites in profiles hidden (helps in stopping spammers from getting listed), renamed the agreed=true or whatever it be when registering, activated visual confirmation.

It seemed to help. We still get the odd spammer signing up though but not nearly as many. I also added many b/c class blocks though in htaccess and iptables. Linux is you friend.

its called php forums = spam these days as they are the most widely used ones now, due to the fact that the servers are cheaper (linux), beginners are learning php, and they are normally open source scripts. Mind you, spammers are attacking ALL web based apps these days, anywhere they can sign up and leave a message or a link, it is succeptable.

I took my email off just for the same reason, started getting spam. Thing is, this forum is not high ranked in google, but they are still finding it .. Arghh ..

Once its a popular web app they WILL find a way around it ..

Edited by Guest

Some ppl got nothin better to do than attacking progs like phpbb. Seems like there are more releases and bug fixes than GeoVision.

Some ppl got nothin better to do than attacking progs like phpbb. Seems like there are more releases and bug fixes than GeoVision.

yeah yah know ... thats foe real ..

probably the usual script kiddies is all ...

but once its open source like it is, it will always be wide open to attacks ..

Edited by Guest

There was a DVR site that was hacked a while back. I found it when I be googlin. I will be see if I can find it. I think it was even Kanadian!

no need, type in gogle webdvr, just one example

Kodicom .. argh... eclipseCCTV also comes up but not as much as kodicom ..

Stuff like this Nigerian scam things make me want to vomit. That entire country should be made into a parking lot for starters. They should all be hunted down like the animals that they are.

http://www.zone-h.org/nigerianfraud

We also had some scumbag from Nigeria recently order $2500 USD in law books to be delivered to a bookstore there. There were obvious red flags. We never shipped anything, Visa was informed and was in fact a stolen cc.

its a no brainer if yah get an email or any kind of contact from nigeria to streer far far away from it .. there are even web sites dedicated to dealing with the spammers from nigeria .. cant rememeber off hand but I could check my links again if yah are interested ..

okay found it quick, here yah go - not for the light of heart:

http://www.419eater.com/

http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2005/01/playing-along-with-email-scams

Mind you, I wouldnt put Canada of the list, as some regions are well known for permitted illegal activity, especially if it is against the US. And yes, the Bahamas has defeinately had its scams also, including other more well know dealings with drugs (still do), copyright infractions, money laundering, etc, tthough the funny thing is the majority of the people doing this down here (except for drugs), are from canada!! Im serious also, I have installed soo many alarms in their kingdoms down here, heck the Cable TV & Internet Monopoly Company is candadian owned ..!!! Down here, its so well known now, if you are living in the bahamas and are a canadian, you are most likely doing something illegal .. for years we survived off canadian companies that supplied us with illegal sat programming (well not me or you directly but obviously a lot of guys there and here)

Americans arent off the list either, but its more like 99% CA over 1% US doing illegal stuff and living down here to get away from it .. so they think anyway ...