Birdman Adam

CCTV Forum Wiki?

I can't be the only person to have thought about this...

There are so many common tips, and solutions to specific problems that we have all submitted to help everyone - wouldn't it be cool if we could write little mini-articles on specific things about CCTV? This would be a member-written thing - I know I have a few things I would like to write down!

For example, we could have a 'checklist' page on video signal problems for people to go through. Could contain all the usual problems suggested in a thread on signal problems, like 'PSU probably isn't big enough when IR kicks on'. Wouldn't a page that explains lenses and sensors to beginners be cool?

We could even have a page for common DVRs - with info on common problems, maybe how to do port forwarding, etc.

I know you can search the forum (takes a while to wade through many threads + posts), but it seems that directing new members to look at a wiki first may make it easier for them.

it sounds good on paper. but i think it would be a bad thing to do. companies dont just install cctv they have the other side .... service and repair which is also an income.

engineers go though college or have spent money on trainning to get were they are. to give all that info away for nothing would not be right.

its the same with giving out to much info on how to reset a system or how to reset a password. this info should never be given on on a open forum.

giving out info about power units .... well it sounds simple but how do you know the person is capable of doing the job. doing any sort of electrical work has to come with a bit of electrical knowledge.

I guess I don't see the difference between a CCTV Wiki and the actual forum. We're not giving away any more information than we already do by answering questions in the forum.

Adam, how do you put food on the table? Yes, careers can also be hobbies... but that's besides the point.

Tom is right... there are also liabilities associated with something like that...

The views expressed on a forum environment are those of individuals. Some are right, some are wrong. To present information in the context of representng a group or ogranization... it gives the illusion of credibility. If we're wrong or someone uses/ misuses that information that's a bad thing...

Given the nature of and responsiibilities associated with the security industry...I wouldn't participate.

Neat idea though!